Electrical feed for aftermarket rear amp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm thinking of dropping in a small amp to feed my slightly modified factory subwoofer. I pulled the factory speakers and replaced the with Polk 2 ways, but they'll handle much better than the paper coned woofers. My HU has a RCA out to provide sub signal, but no dedicated amp fed lines. Is the aux power in the rear DS powerful enough to run a small 2 channel amp? Could I just tap into that power w/o burning down my LC?

What year LC? Take a look at your wiring, that's the part that can go wrong, but it's easy to fix. Just to be safe, I would upgrade the gauge of wiring and get rid of the cheap factory wiring to the amp and from the amp to the speaker.

Short answer, it can be done from your head unit but use a higher gauge wire..

As @El Cid said, you really should run a new wire. But if you really want to avoid that, you would have to find an amplifier that had a current draw rated for less than the fused rating of the aux power circuit - keeping in mind the load from anything else that might be on that same circuit.

I can't say because I haven't' seen the wiring layouts and quality in the LC's older than 2004, but you should assume that you will do upgrades to the wiring if you put in aftermarket speakers/amps/head units. Partly for safety, partly for performance.

In retrospect, I should have done a tearout of my entire sound system, in one fell swoop, wiring and all. It would have been faster and less painful than trying to do piecemeal upgrades.

Last edited:
I have a 06 with factory Nav and JBL system. Is there an RCA out somewhere? I would like to install a small amplifier and subwoofer in the cargo area.

I have a 06 with factory Nav and JBL system. Is there an RCA out somewhere? I would like to install a small amplifier and subwoofer in the cargo area.

That's easy, use the existing subwoofer wires and add a line output converter, one of the best being the audiocontrol Lc2i, that'll give you a set of RCA's to input into your subwoofer amp.

And to the original poster, NO. Run new wire. Its' super easy!

That's easy, use the existing subwoofer wires and add a line output converter, one of the best being the audiocontrol Lc2i, that'll give you a set of RCA's to input into your subwoofer amp.

Ditto this.

I currently have two lovely subs in the cargo, but a new AMP is going to need a complete rewire as it will take the whole thing up a notch.

When removing the white clip from the subwoofer, which wires do I use?

When removing the white clip from the subwoofer, which wires do I use?

Red is +
Yellow is -

Green is +
Black is -

The reason there's two sets is because the subwoofer is a dual coil setup. You can use one pair, but i used both. It all depends on what you're connecting it to.

fI8hwmg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom