1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric windown Wows

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Radd Cruisers, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Any helpfull hints on 1994 window problems, most of them roll up real slow with a great deal up struggle half way.

Tips would be appreciated.

Seems to me the window flocking has shrunk over the years and is binding up on the way up. Or could it be just use over the years and the mechanism needs replacing?

At any rate I was able to try out my new Scorpion OTC door tool which made pulling the panels a snap.

Thanks
    Rob

2. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

Rob, this subject was touched on about a month ago (suggest doing a search under window sticking, slow, etc.). I believe the recommended fix was to remove the door trim panel to access the window mechanism, and grease all the mechanical friction points with "marine" grease (green in color as I recall). It is highly water resistant, and according to a couple of reports, frees the windows up quite well.

Wayne S :cheers:

3. 97cruiser

97cruiser

Any opinions on how well Amsoil would work on this application? I have a lil left over of the red and purple. It does not wash off with soap and water but may be too thick.

Vince

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
  5. Riley

Riley

[quote author=Wayne link=board=2;threadid=11146;start=msg100917#msg100917 date=1076159012]
    Rob, this subject was touched on about a month ago (suggest doing a search under window sticking, slow, etc.).
    [/quote]

Don't search on "slow" OR you will get a bunch of mighty 3FE posts. :cheers:

R

6. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    3FE Powa!!

CruisinGA was going to drag race me in his 40 but unfortunately he had trouble even keeping his running ;)

7. bkgiii

bkgiii SILVER Star

Yup....28 degrees in Mis'sippi (a rarity), and the windows are STILL a bunch faster than before.

Try it on the sunroof, too, if you are experiencing slow / 'scraping' operation...use sparingly.

8. madams557

madams557

Question for bkgiii. I read the last post and there seems to be an unanswered question. Bkgiii, you posted that the marine grease that you used was green, will blue marine grease work just as well?

I ask because I have a can of it sitting around and figured I would use it instead of purchasing a can of green marine grease.

9. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

[quote author=Wayne link=board=2;threadid=11146;start=msg100917#msg100917 date=1076159012]
    Rob, this subject was touched on about a month ago (suggest doing a search under window sticking, slow, etc.). I believe the recommended fix was to remove the door trim panel to access the window mechanism, and grease all the mechanical friction points with "marine" grease (green in color as I recall). It is highly water resistant, and according to a couple of reports, frees the windows up quite well.

Wayne S :cheers:
    [/quote]

I forgot to mention that greasing was the first thing I tried, did not work at all for the rear windows.

I can see the window canting to the one side and almost jaming, we tried silcone lube for rubber and it seemed to help a little.

Next thing to try is replacing the window flocking and readjusting the mechanism.

Off sking for 7 days, work on it when we get back.

Thanks for all the advice.,

Rob

10. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

Ok. grease up the mechnical with a good all purpose grease. easy enough. one problem. how do you get to all the mechanical parts. about 70 % are totally hidden and my amrs cant get to them.

11. Sammy Jenkins

Sammy Jenkins

My windows take forever to put up on my '97 FZJ 40th Anniversary. Sometimes its not even worth it. I guess the amount of miles I have on it (134k) and the age is the cause. Is their a solution to this problem besides purchasing a new motor for the windows?

12. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Did you read the thread? ??? :doh: :doh:

13. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

i did use some lithium grease and sprayed down the ends of my window on my civic. 3 wks ago the window came off the tracking and had to reset it. sprayed it down with some lithium grease and goes smooth now. will do the LC when i have time. For now all the windows are on lock...

14. bkgiii

bkgiii SILVER Star

Madam557, to be honest, I don't know. I Used the marine stuff since that's what I had left in the gun....:)

Any grease experts out there?

15. harveya

harveya

Robb.

Mine has been just like this. Fixed it in a couple of ways.

1. Replaced the rivers side window motor.
    2. Removed the window regulator, cleaned and lubed it with white grease.
    3. Lubricated all the rubber seals and channels with silicon lubricant.

Works well now.

16. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

I've greased the friction points, and cleaned the contacts on the switches. Nothing has really made a great improvement. I think i recall reading one thread where someone said the wiring to the motors was very small gauge and doesnt supply enough power to the windows, especially at idle.

Does anyone know if this is true out not?
    It would make sense, if in fact the stock wiring is pretty small.

17. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Holy ancient thread resurrection.

18. baxter650

baxter650

Ihave had a simular problem with the windows in my 80 however it isn't a grease issue. The windows are getting stuck in the grooves, enough that it pulls the glass out of the frame that holds the glass. I have put the glass back in on two of the windows. Have to find somthing to lube the glass tracks

19. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Yes this thread has covered the problems, motors more than likely are not the problem.

As mentioned my drivers side window work the best, gussing because its used all the time while the other three windows are not. Must keep the runners more open.

If you pull the window in the rear and try pushing and pulling it up and down by hand you will see all the resistance from the window runners.

I did happen to use small shims and help push the seals outwards, it made a hudge difference in how quickly the window worked. Somehow the hardened seals need to be brought back to life or sqeezed open slightly.

PS was your truck at crusier days, if so was it on 37s.

Rob

20. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

At least it's been to tellico 4 times in the last year...

Did your 80 even make it to Tellico once?

:flipoff2:

It's OK to have 40 series envy... :flipoff2: