Electric vs Manual fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have an electric fuel pump in my 72 FJ40. I've been told that I should consider converting over to manual.

What are the pros/cons of an electrical pump versus a mechanical pump?

If you run an electric run a adjustable pressure regulator with a return line. The fuel circulates and stays
cooler so in hot climates there's less chance of vapor lock. I never could stop my 60 from getting vapor lock on those 110 deg az days. It was especially a problem on long hot trips when I got on a long steep climb full throttle.
Manual is simpler. Either way I always carried a spare pump and a couple filters.

I see no pros with an electrical fuel pump.
The manual pump is what the engine and carb are designed for, a good manual pump lasts forever and gives no problem.
I cannot count the number of threads about problems with electrical pumps.

I see no pros with an electrical fuel pump.
The manual pump is what the engine and carb are designed for, a good manual pump lasts forever and gives no problem.
I cannot count the number of threads about problems with electrical pumps.

Like anything, it's about buying the good stuff. I drove over 120,000 miles on my
last electric pump. I retired the motor, did a engine swap and now the old pump
which still works, is my backup. There are 19.95 electric pumps and 350.00 electric pumps. You get what you pay for.

One pro for electric is that it can run when the engine isn't. I have both with the electric one plumbed inline before the manual. I run it for about 10 seconds before I start up to fill the bowl then turn it off. Even if it sits for a month I get real quick starts. It's also a flip the switch backup should the manual fail although bowl filling was my main intent.

Like Steamer says; I've been using my electric for years as a vapor lock aid and fuel bowl primer. I also have installed insulation on the fuel line. However, I think its important to keep a few new manual pumps on hand - Toyota brand quality is hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom