Electric trailer brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
this 80 I saw today had an added gizmo to control electric trailer brakes. (On an 80?)
What's that all about? Useful to have or just a cute gadget?
I plan on towing garden utility trailers and light popup campers only for now. These would not have the electric brakes I would guess.
E

Eric,

That's only a useful gizmo if you plan to tow a trailer with electric brakes. It was no doubt added on after purchase. You won't need it for a lightweight garden trailer, but some of those popups come with electric brakes (some of them get big and heavy)--if your trailer has the brakes, you'll want to keep the controller. It will be wired into the harness at the hitch and you'll want to make sure that the harness and trailer are wired correctly before you venture out.

Tom

trailer size is the determining factor...I have a Tekonsha Voyager in both my tow rig and my motorhome, and with the electric brakes on my car trailer, stopping times are HUGELY improved.

For a under-3000# trailer I doubt they would be installed, mine is rated 7500# and has them. No reason to remove it tho, just in case you tow a electric-equipped trailer someday.

right, seems like there is no reason to take it off, but does not seem to be a big deal to have either for the sort of towing I'm anticipating then.
Btw, what's actuating the thing (brake light circuit, inertial mechanical) ?
Eric

Eric,

IMHO I would not buy an 80 with the electric brake thing. No telling how much abuse the vehicle experienced pulling something so heavy that it had electric brakes.

In fact, if the seller were smart, he would remove the evidence (of course I would never do something so deceptive).

Ed

Gotta agree 100% with Woody. Any trailer over 1500lbs in CA requires brakes by law. Had a Prodigy put in my beast and electric brakes on our trailer. Wow, what a difference. Surge brakes don't require a controller.

Only thing you may have to purchase is an adapter to go from the 7 pin harness you have with the electric brake controller to the 4 pin harness you are likely to have on your smaller trailers. Available at any auto parts store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom