Electric smog pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After having another issue with my smog pump and parts getting harder to find, has anyone tried to do an electric smog pump?
I've thought about this before but came back to this after another frozen smog pump. I keep seeing Tacoma, Lexus and many other toyota products with electric. Is this possible?

After having another issue with my smog pump and parts getting harder to find, has anyone tried to do an electric smog pump?
I've thought about this before but came back to this after another frozen smog pump. I keep seeing Tacoma, Lexus and many other toyota products with electric. Is this possible?

what year make and modle land cruiser do you have experiencing all these OEM smog pump issues with ?

85 fj60. I've had it for about 16 years. So far I've done 4. The last 2 were rebuilt by bz rebuilders and the last one lasted maybe 5 years, but not many miles. To actually get one build i sent 3 cores.
I have 2 that have the guts removed but I do not want to be swapping every other year for smog if I'm putting less than 1000 miles.
This last one had either the bearing freeze or self destucted inside. It left me stranded on hwy 80 75 miles from Reno. I was able to just get the alt and fan but bypassed the power steering.
What is causing the damage? Is it the valve that goes before the rail? I've changed that and have one more spare.

is your power steering pump leaking? ATF will kill a smog pump

Interesting idea.

Replacing your belt driven smog pump with electric means you would have to get a tensioner pulley to replace the current smog pump. The smog pump bracket IS the tensioner for the fan belt. Not a problem SOR, Jim C and others offer a nice tensioner pulley with smooth bearings that mounts where the old smog pump was. It will probably run a lot smoother than the old smog pump. But then you would have to find a place to mount an electric pump (somewhere on the inner fender?) AND you would have to adapt the hoses to extensions or just replace them with longer flexible hoses. I guess that could look like wholly hell with flimsy hoses.

If you're still in Kalifornia, it would not pass visual smog inspection, even if you could get it to work, presuming the tech knew what they/them ;) we're looking at.

If you could somehow get it to work, you'd have to go to a referee, and make your case and show them a passing tailpipe test and still there would be no guarantee of an allowance.

Interesting idea.

Replacing your belt driven smog pump with electric means you would have to get a tensioner pulley to replace the current smog pump. The smog pump bracket IS the tensioner for the fan belt. Not a problem SOR, Jim C and others offer a nice tensioner pulley with smooth bearings that mounts where the old smog pump was. It will probably run a lot smoother than the old smog pump. But then you would have to find a place to mount an electric pump (somewhere on the inner fender?) AND you would have to adapt the hoses to extensions or just replace them with longer flexible hoses. I guess that could look like wholly hell with flimsy hoses.
The engine definitely sounds quieter without a smog pump. I am ordering a jimc smog pump pulley.
The California smog tech can't even check timing on a 2f. I'm referring to the younger guys. Not many old guys doing smog these days.

If you're still in Kalifornia, it would not pass visual smog inspection, even if you could get it to work, presuming the tech knew what they/them ;) we're looking at.

If you could somehow get it to work, you'd have to go to a referee, and make your case and show them a passing tailpipe test and still there would be no guarantee of an allowance.
It can definitely be buried around where the stock pump is.
It's just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom