Electric Seats - Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been told that the plastic/nylon gears in the drive of the electric seats are unavailable and an entire rack needs to be purchased for $1000 per side.

Could someone (CDan, maybe) confirm this? The entire assembly can be disassembled so I'd imagine the intention was to make the parts serviceable.

I'd greatly appreciate some good news.

LCphil

36,000 miles - you make me puke! heh.

Did the gears break, or are they simply grundged up? Mine got a bit slow and I cleaned and greased the gears. Felt like new again.

DougM

Thanks. They are stripped. I had them all out and was pleased to see how well built the whole thing was including the fact that everything came apart (and could be put back together). Did you grease the plastic gear where it contacts the drive rod? There was grease on the side of the gear but none on the teeth.

Yes, 36,000 miles owned since brand new (72 delivery miles). Lived, until now, in a very small place, Efaté Island, locate it and well, you'll hae located it.

Hmm, Mapquest couldn't find the Island.

To your question, I put synthetic grease where it seemed appropriate - drive rod, drive rod bushings, gear teeth, etc. Immediate difference, so you have that to look forward to. I also removed quite a bit of hair and grundge that I suspect eventually would have stressed the plastic teeth.

DougM

Thanks. Now if I can get the gear boxes. $1000 per side if not. Haven't heard back from CruiserDan but it is pretty late or early where you are.

IdahoDoug said:
Hmm, Mapquest couldn't find the Island...
Google found Efaté Island as Vanuatu. An island in the South Pacific.

LCphil said:
I have been told that the plastic/nylon gears in the drive of the electric seats are unavailable and an entire rack needs to be purchased for $1000 per side.

Could someone (CDan, maybe) confirm this? The entire assembly can be disassembled so I'd imagine the intention was to make the parts serviceable.

I'd greatly appreciate some good news.

LCphil

I find it strange that a 36k '96 cruiser should have problems with plastic gears. What exactly is causing you concern ? Has a ham hand been at your seats ?

Kalawang

LCPhil

You know a Jason Meyer, he's a Peace Corps who's been out on the islands there for about 1 1/2 yrs, anyway just wondering didn't mean to get off subject, he sent me a pic last week next to a Toyota Pickup that looked like a Cruiser wit a bed??????????????

Kalawang said:
I find it strange that a 36k '96 cruiser should have problems with plastic gears. What exactly is causing you concern ? Has a ham hand been at your seats ?

Kalawang
The right gear on the DS is stripped. No one's ever touched the seats. I was the first when I had to take them apart last Saturday. Everything was fine except for the stripped gear. The seat was probably moved back and forth on average about 10 times a week for 8 years. There's a chance the packers took a joy ride because the car had big splash of mud on the floor and console and did't know how to adjust the seats and forced it.

brent said:
LCPhil

You know a Jason Meyer, he's a Peace Corps who's been out on the islands there for about 1 1/2 yrs, anyway just wondering didn't mean to get off subject, he sent me a pic last week next to a Toyota Pickup that looked like a Cruiser wit a bed??????????????
Name sound familiar but most Peace Corps Volunteers pretty much stick to themselves and are also out on the islands where I didn't go much.

so you had this thing shipped out there yourself from Guam or somethin'?

Bought phone and fax from a dealer by in California then shipped in a container.

LCphil said:
Bought phone and fax from a dealer by in California then shipped in a container.

whoah! watcha doin' for parts and all?

e9999 said:
whoah! watcha doin' for parts and all?
Metro Toyota in Kalamazoo Michigan always on time and no hassles. I get everything from them, except tires and glass. No offense Cruiser Dan, I've just discovered this forum. I got the MC and 4 shocks in about 5 days!

LCphil said:
The right gear on the DS is stripped. No one's ever touched the seats. I was the first when I had to take them apart last Saturday. Everything was fine except for the stripped gear. The seat was probably moved back and forth on average about 10 times a week for 8 years. There's a chance the packers took a joy ride because the car had big splash of mud on the floor and console and did't know how to adjust the seats and forced it.

If it's just a gear, you can probably buy it second hand in Banawe, or even the entire seat. It takes a little looking though.

You might be able to get it new from Toyota Alabang though there's a chance your ride is included in the Subic ban. Regardless, it's nearby and no effort to drive to.

Kalawang

LCphil said:
Metro Toyota in Kalamazoo Michigan always on time and no hassles. I get everything from them, except tires and glass. No offense Cruiser Dan, I've just discovered this forum. I got the MC and 4 shocks in about 5 days!

if this is Vanuatu, can't you get parts from OZ more readily? hmm.... all the goodies there....

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I hopefully have four gear boxes on their way, so two can go in as is to rplace what's there and I'll take the gears out of the other two to replace mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom