electric over hydraulic w/parking brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
has any one looked into this type of system?

https://www.hydrastarusa.com/pdfs/HydraStarSalesSheet.pdf $550-700 1000-1600psi 17.5 Amp

electro hydraulic system for trailers. i'm thinking about converting a conventional rear disc with parking brake to my trailer. there are calipers out there that have parking brake mechanisms built into them but with mixed reviews.

kind of a data dump of random searches.

GM Caliper that brackets might be available for quick modification:
http://www.carparts.com/details/A1_...eg8sZ8l7hAbFKae0VzPIkaAmXp8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Classic Broncos .com - Tech: Rear Disc Brakes using Cadillac/GM Calipers - 66-77 Early Ford Bronco

Rear Brake Caliper With Bracket, Left & Right Fits Audi TT VW Jetta w solid disc | eBay

Weld On Disk Brake Bracket 2.75" Axle

depending on what I could scavenge like old disks and cables $1000-1200 electric disc hydraulic and cable parking brake. even line lock style hydraulic back up parking brake with an manual valve.

Those Caddy calipers are notorious for their mechanical brake not working well. The author of the article on Classic Broncos is a good friend of mine, and he too has given up on them and gone to Explorer RDB's. Which employ a mechanical drum brake in the hat section of the rotor. I realize this is a trailer application, but based on past exposure to them I would strongly encourage NOT using those calipers.

The Explorer system, OTOH, bears looking into. The p-brake function is significantly better than the caddy's and the hyd function is good enough that you'll likely have to turn the pressure down to avoid locking the tires when panic-stopping a loaded trailer.

thanks for the heads up. that's the conclusion i came up with 10 years ago and ended up never having a parking brake on my 1 ton trail rig. my latest search showed many modern imports running that same style caliper/parking brake combo. Not big enough for a rig but might do the trick for a trailer. the thin disk to match a small import rotor may be a tough find.

I'm months from real consideration but might have to go spend some time in the junk yard looking at rear brakes. I'm on 6 lug so i'd look for something that matches so i'm only making adaption for the back plate and the rest would be off the shelf.

Have a look at late model GM mid and full size SUV's. Some are 6 lug (though may not be 6X5.5) and have relatively thin rotors with hat style p-brakes. I have such a set that I've thought about putting on mt '73 SB-SS C10, but no longer recall what the OE application is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom