Electric Onboard Air pump suggestions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done some searching and haven't found much that applies to my needs/wants so I am hoping to tap the collective knowledge of MUD.

Background info: I have had a York OBA system for almost as long as ive had the cruiser. I have gone through 2 different bracket designs before landing on my third and current design which I added an adjustable idler pulley to for belt adjustment. Works pretty well, did the oil galley plug mod to cut down the oil output and it did some good, but still puts out oil. I've become accustomed to good air output for inflating my big tires and using air tools.

Problem: I'm going to be doing some modifications starting in a few months. When I do the mods I will lose all available mounting spots for the York. So I'm looking for a 12v electric compressor with a fairly high duty cycle and CFM output at 100-150 psi. I will be inflating my 40" tires and wanting to be able to use my 1/2" drive impact gun. ARB is the obvious choice

ARB Portable Twin Air Compressor

but at over $800 I'd rather just carry my home compressor and a generator. So, I have seen a few lesser quality models like Smittybilt

Smittybilt 5.65 CFM Air Compressor - 2781

which has a lower duty cycle but does the tire inflation job well as far as YouTube videos have shown. I've also seen the unit by tuffstuff4x4

http://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/tu...-compressor/?gclid=CMSgheu1n9ICFURffgodYy4MNQ

which seems like the same unit as smittybilt. Problem is I can't find CFM at pressure ratings.

Questions: anyone have any suggestions other than the high dollar ARB? I already have a 7 gallon aluminum tank installed, I wonder if the lesser units would keep up with air demand when combined with a tank, does anyone have insight or experience here?

Thanks folks.

I don't have much to add, but look at what some of the train horn/air bag suspension folks are running. Those are both ~200 PSI and lots of flow type situations so maybe the problem has been solved.

Outside of that, I'm not aware of much besides the ARB and Viair systems.

• Up to a HUGE 5.65 CFM air flow
CFM/SCFM ratings are meaningless without a pressure rating. A 3-speed box fan will move 2500 CFM. This 5.65 CFM rating is likely at 0 PSI.

I'm guessing your impact wrench consumes around 5 SCFM at 90PSI or so? None of these devices will come close to providing that volume of air at that pressure for a continuous amount of time. This would require intermittent use of the tool while the tank pressurizes or reduced power output from the tool operating at lower pressure.

Of everything mentioned thus far, it seems the ARB Twin would be closest to meet your demands, providing 3 CFM @ 90PSI. The Puma offers 1.36 CFM @ 90PSI.

Edit: Looks like some sources are citing the Puma at 3 CFM @ 90PSI.

Last edited:
Blasting off a lug nut does not take a lot of air. I have a 5 gallon compressor (yeah I know) and I can do 6-12 nuts before it even kicks on. A lug nut at 60-80 foot pounds is nothing even for a weak compressor.

Now, airing up tires will make any portable compressor humble.

The Puma is the best bang for the buck in electric compressors. It's basically an extreme air with a tank setup.

... wanting to be able to use my 1/2" drive impact gun. ...

To properly run a 1/2" gun requires CFM delivery that will challenge any OBA system, even York. The Puma will drive a 3/8" pretty good, with an IR2115 I can get 6 properly torqued lug nuts off before waiting on the Puma.

Smittybilt 5.65 CFM Air Compressor - 2781

which has a lower duty cycle but does the tire inflation job well as far as YouTube videos have shown. ...

Be aware that most play fast and loose with the cfm numbers, some more than others. In this case, wheel with a couple that run that Smittybilt unit and it doesn't come close to the Puma in performance. Not sure where they came up with that cfm number, but doesn't seem to be real world?

I already have a 7 gallon aluminum tank installed,...

A tank is a negative in air up times, the bigger the tank, the bigger the negative. It is helpful for high cfm, burst type demands, like running an impact.[/QUOTE]

My Puma takes 2.5 minutes each to pump my 37 x 12.5 from 16 up to 35 psi. It has never failed in over 6 years I have used it, which is several times per month.

I'm guessing your impact wrench consumes around 5 SCFM at 90PSI or so? ...

Again, that is a fast and loose number, in full on service will easily be twice that cfm number. Tools are rated by "typical use cfm". So, if they figure it will only be used in bursts, say, 30sec per min, then they rate the gun as 5 cfm when its full on cfm is 10. Compressors are often rated by theoretical displacement, a very different thing than real world delivery.

The advertising guys are good at making compressors look like they deliver as much as possible and tools consume as little as possible. It's best to understand this going in and "unfudge" the numbers when buying.

I run an extreme air magnum. A little pricey, but it is the only that I know of to rate it for mounting outside the vehicle. Mine is welded to the frame.

Product : Extreme Outback

Still, compressors do not run air tools, air tanks do. I could take off a crank bolt with a bicycle pump if you give me enough time to pump it.

Playing devil's advocate, CFM at 30 PSI matters more for OBA than CFM at 90 PSI. I assume OP will only ever need to remove and replace 6 lug nuts at a time.

I run an extreme air magnum. A little pricey, but it is the only that I know of to rate it for mounting outside the vehicle. Mine is welded to the frame.

I was looking at this one too, the only problem with it is that it's not as good as the ARB twin, I just found some sites where I can buy just the ARB compressor for less than $500.

A lot of good points being made, thanks to all who have posted this far.

I have tested extreme air magnum to the PUMA side by side and Magnum win without any question but that performance comes with a price of easily double the cost of the PUMA. The PUMA offer excellent long term performance at a reasonable cost. 80 series PUMA mount are available for mounting above your fender well keeping the cargo space free.

I have run a PUMA set up since 2007 without issue and I carry a 3/8" IR gun, die grinder, and air hammer. I do need have wait time using a die grinder but if I need one on the trail its well worth the wait.

If space is a concern you can always divorce the PUMA and feed your tank.

I have tested extreme air magnum to the PUMA side by side and Magnum win without any question but that performance comes with a price of easily double the cost of the PUMA. The PUMA offer excellent long term performance at a reasonable cost. 80 series PUMA mount are available for mounting above your fender well keeping the cargo space free.

I have run a PUMA set up since 2007 without issue and I carry a 3/8" IR gun, die grinder, and air hammer. I do need have wait time using a die grinder but if I need one on the trail its well worth the wait.

If space is a concern you can always divorce the PUMA and feed your tank.
I like first hand knowledge like this and excellent idea of divorcing the puma pump Phil.

Not to hijack this thread but can you install the Puma externally, like on the frame underneath? @LandCruiserPhil

I like first hand knowledge like this and excellent idea of divorcing the puma pump Phil.

Divorce live set up on my LX470 n progress
Pump measures 12x5x9 for your design

@LandCruisinMy93 The York in our test smoked the Extreme air, you have been OBA spoiled

IMG_7880[1].JPG

Last edited:
Not to hijack this thread but can you install the Puma externally, like on the frame underneath? @LandCruiserPhil

Having taken a Puma somewhat apart I would not.

Its important to note for the thread Extreme air says no problem mounting the Magnum externally. In addition the Magnum equipped test vehicle was mounted underside.

Please take a look at that
Esprit 3T 3Lt
May be it is not so popular in USA, but it is professional equipment with high productivity - 210l\m 250l\m. And they have oposite type performance - they are very quite and have lo vibration.
Install it about like that. Unfortenatelly have only one photo.
DSC_5603.JPG

Please take a look at that
Esprit 3T 3Lt
May be it is not so popular in USA, but it is professional equipment with high productivity - 210l\m 250l\m. And they have oposite type performance - they are very quite and have lo vibration.
Install it about like that. Unfortenatelly have only one photo.
View attachment 1406107

I've seen these before in my Internet searches a couple years ago. Those are for Hookah diving. I didn't see on their site but I remember the price point being in the mid $1k range. I'd pay that for breathing air, but I'm not willing to hand over that kind of money for onboard air. Nonetheless, that's brilliant use of the compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom