Electric Impact (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
Sad to say but I don't have air tools (yet). So I bought a $50 electric impact wrench from the local tool place. That thing works great. I am swapping FJ60 knuckles, hubs, brakes and longfields onto the front of my FJ40. I was able to get down to bare axle housing in about 90 minutes including pulling the birfields off the inner axles and fitting the longfileds. What am I missing? Are there drawbacks to the electric impact wrench? The max torque is lower than air (250 vs. 400) but very impressive performance for the price. Any input appreciated, but it's making me think I can delay the compressor purchase. What do the experts say?

I guess I have always had air. I have only tried one electric impact and it was the kind that got to a certain speed then hit. I don't think that one could pull a lugnut. I hope you have your 60 back!

Always used air, but also have a cordless with little power for other things I don't want to fawk up. Never used elec, but I know the torque on my IR Thunder Gun is all I'll ever need. I use teh compressor for a ton of crap though - could not get by without one.

The 12v impact guns work great, we did a write up on one, and left the trigger cable tied for 20 minutes on a nut it couldnt undo, and it did start to smoke, but its still going.

They undo wheelnuts no worries, and for the price are a greta investment IMHO. Especially for older people, or the wife etc.

[quote author=the shed guy [Aus/CAC] link=board=14;threadid=12684;start=msg116644#msg116644 date=1078651199]
Especially for older people, or the wife etc.
[/quote]

:flipoff2: Is that a recommendation or a put down? :flipoff2:

Lagwagon-Yep 60 is back, I'm stylin' it around town and plotting my SOA. It's running so nice!

Shed-not sure on your back handed comment either-but I'll have air one of these days. That electric impact is cool though and very good utility/$ ratio. It's not 12v but I could see having one, especially when I get as old as you! I've also seen a snap-on cordless electric impact in action-very impressive.

Junk-I have a 2 car garage and a 4 (and sometimes 5) car life, so even just finding a place for the compressor is a challenge. Still, my wife may get a nice compressor for her birthday in May.

[quote author=Safado link=board=14;threadid=12684;start=msg116678#msg116678 date=1078671077]

:flipoff2: Is that a recommendation or a put down? :flipoff2:
[/quote]

I just call em as I see em :slap: :flipoff2:

I might look at one in about 24 years, when Im 60.... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom