Electric Fuel Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking of installing an electric fuel pump, mostly for a anti theft device (hidden on/off switch). What should I look for, I saw one on TPI's web site anyone have experience with this ?

Thanks
Jeff
72 Fj 40 w/F motor

Jeff,
You've got a good idea for security (I'm doing a simillar thing but with a key FOB and a relay). I had a bad experience with that particular type of fuel pump. The one I had was noisy - it drove me crazy. Check the last few weeks for a discussion on electric fuel pumps. There's some info that several people had posted (including me). I switched to a rotary style pump which I found to be much quieter. It cost me about $40.

Good luck

Ditto on the noise. If you go that route mount it far away from your ears. Same pump as TPI is available at Napa and AutoZone for less $$$. Don't forget a regulator, doesn't take much to blow the needle open and over fill the bowl. You will also need to check the float level after you run it, and adjust for the new pump.

I've got a $40 dollar one from napa mounted to USPS side of engine on a little bracket. Wired to key, simple simple works great. One time it overheated or something while wheelin which was wierd but hasn't happened since so no worries. I'll post a pic soon.

Re: Electric Fuel Pump/emergency cut-off

You may want to consider an emergency cut-off on an installed electric fuel pump. The logic is that in an incident ( read: crash!) the possibility of rupturing the fuel line between the carb and pump exists. If the pump is still getting juice it will spray raw fuel into the engine compartment, the hazard potential is obvious. The cure is an emergency cut-off that would automatically shut off the fuel pump. This switch is also the same one you would use as a security switch to prevent the pump from running for anyone except those in the know who can actuate it. I just saw one in the WireWorks catalog http://www.wire-works.com/CatalogWindow.asp.
I don't work for them, haven't bought anything from them yet and this advice is probably worth what you paid for it. I'm sure that other types and makes of switch are available and I only offer this advice in the interest of safety. Yes, I also always use my seat belt.

Straylight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom