electric fuel pump saftey shut off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offrd63

Ain't you done yet!
Threads
Hey there,
I used to run a low pressure electric fuel pump to my SBC. I plumbed in a oil pressure shut off switch to my pump in case I turned over or was in an accident. Now I'm going to a TBI set up and I'm wondering if an inertia switch might be better. A TBI motor could keep running up side down and it would take longer to loose oil pressure and the fuel pump is pumping away at 58 psi. Thoughts?, any one?

thanks

The second generation Vortec engines had a simple solution. Below is the fuel pump wiring diagram for a 1996 5.7L Vortec:

The fuel pump/oil pressure switch is AC Delco Part # 19244500 ($27 from Rock Auto). Plumb the switch into the block, an oil pressure gauge T or the filter block and then wire it as shown in the schematic. Piece of cake.

Last edited:
That is similar to how I wired my 3 lead pressure switch. I assume the 4th lead would be for the gauge, or light?
Thanks

If you are wearing your seatbelt then you should be able to reach the key in the event of a rollover. I have personally rolled numerous times and my buddies have as well. There is plenty of time to turn it off. I find a lot of times even fuel injected engines will shut down on a roll. I have never heard of any of them not being able to shut it off in time to save the engine. I have seen guys start up too quickly or before pulling plugs and bent rods but that is another issue.

Yes, I agree. I too have turned the key off while on my side. I have also been in a situation where someone was passing a semi, and my wife and I thought we were going to die. A head on accident at 65 mph would have killed us. A wreck at 40 might knock me out though. I'm not as worried about hurting my engine as I am about fire. I could pump a lot of fuel at 58 psi in a short time. I have personally seen it happen. One year at Cruise Moab we where at a rock called launch pad (I believe). I went up it in my fj40 and there was another 40 right behind me. This guy had a sbc350 with a stock 3 speed and he panicked and gunned it. He went all the way up before he went over backwards. He landed hard on his top. By the time I got there (1 min. max) There was fuel everywhere and nobody was out yet. I turned the key off myself. The poor young women that was sitting in the back was drenched in fuel. It was her first time wheel'in and I bet it was her last. Yea, it's a fire that concerns me. Since I started researching this I have noticed that the automakers using electric fuel pumps have at least two switches on there fuel pumps. Ive seen schematics with 3 switches
If you have 45 min. to loose this classroom YouTube channel has a lot of info. Every thing you didnt need to know about how the big auto guys do it. Including toyota

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom