Electric Fuel Pump or Mechanical (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all. As you've read in a previous thread, I finally got my truck started. :flipoff2:

I'm still deciding on whether or not to run an electric fuel pump or a mechincal. I have a mechanical, but I'm not too impressed with its peformance. Seems to push too much fuel.

What do you guys think?

Greetings all. As you've read in a previous thread, I finally got my truck started. :flipoff2:

I'm still deciding on whether or not to run an electric fuel pump or a mechincal. I have a mechanical, but I'm not too impressed with its peformance. Seems to push too much fuel.

What do you guys think?

Uno..I've got both on my 40. Have had it for 20+ years with no issues. If you get into the back country a lot, especially by yourself, I think it's good to have redundancy with certain items. To me, fuel stuff is one of those items.

My elec. pump is a $30 A C Delco unit, frame mounted between the tank & OEM pump. Along the frame I've layed enough rubber fuel line to by pass the OEM if necessary & go directly to the carb. I also carry the mech pump 'block off plate' from Man-a-Fre in case I have to by pass the mech pump. Installed the elec pump when my mech left me stranded, alone & way far from help.

I have a on/off toggle switch on the dash & often switch it on after the 40 has been setting up for an extended period of time & fuel might have drained from the carb. I have at times, w/o thinking had them both on for extended period of times with no ill effects.

Just an idea, John

Last edited:
Personally if I was still running gasoline I would have an internal fuel pump built into the fuel cell. I have heard too many stories of external electronic fuel pumps going south when it is really hot out. There were at least two of them that went out at the Lone Star Round Up because of heat.

I keep an electric pump in my truck in case the mechanical one quits. The CCOT aftermarket manual pump the p/o installed in my truck "just because" left me stranded halfway home from work one day. With about 200 miles on it. The electric one got me home, and the "old" toyota pump has been in the truck ever since. I have no idea how old it is, but it's still working fine.

Mechanical is the only way to go, if you want redundancy buy two. I got a new Bosch from rockauto.com and need to get the rebuild parts for my original to keep as a spare. I've ran electrics in tons of equipment and they are junk IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom