Electric fan w/ 350 on '73 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got an electric fan on my '73 40 w/ 350. It has a sensor mounted in the intake that kicks it on at 190. My water temp gauge goes into my drivers side head. Fan has always worked great in the past, but recently the gauge shows 220-230 before fan comes on. Changed out sensors but the new ones do the same thing. Wondering how others have there fans hooked up. What type of sensor are you using? Where do your gauge and fan sensor attach?

The difference between a sensor mounted in the intake or radiator and one mounted in the block is at least 10 degrees, maybe more.

So if the guages are new, what you are seeing is the differential. If it is the same setup since day one, then your sensor would appear to be failing.

While I know that a lot of guys run pure electric, I never will. Too prone to failure, especially if you get water in the fans. I killed my pusher 2 in 2 seasons of wheeling in the PNW.

Jim

I experienced similar fan deaths...but am planning on a Taurus fan swap soon anyways....I've gotten smarter about water crossings in the past couple years! lol

IMO, you should be sensing off the head, and yes, it sounds like your sensor is on it's way out.

The sensor I was using was a Borg-Warner BTW380. It always worked great, until recently. Because of the big centerdump Sanderson exhaust manifolds, I dont have room to mount my sensor on the head. Some rams horns would probably fix that. For now, I have a switch on my dash for the fan. Works, but now I'm paranoid and I'm constantly staring at the temp.

What is the problem with water crossing and electric fan ? Just the soaking of the electric motor ? or should you have a cut off switch to turn the fan off ? what ?

You should have a cut off switch when crossing deep water. It can screw up your fan and mess up your radiator. Hasn't happened to me, but I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom