Electric Fan Puller or Pusher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
Good morning and 4 July to al folks .. :D

Right now I'm proces to change my electric fan, I have in my mind some options.

something as it ..

HERCULES%20FAN.jpg

14" 1200 cfm or this other one ..

flx-394_w.jpg

by 1500 cfm .. off course I will be put it in the front as auxilary fan ( haven't enough space behind the rad )

whichone is my best option puller or pusher configuration .. ;)

If you've got a clutch fan already, seems to me that a pusher fan makes more sense-- adds extra fan instead of replacing.

But your mileage might vary.

Yes I have the stock fan with 7 or 8 blades ( I'm not sure ) with fanclutch also. The idea is the better form to get most cooling transference in my rad at low speeds .. :D

I'd personally go pusher, myself. Unless you plan to replace your mechanical fan. Then I'd go puller with a custom shroud.
How are you going to control it? Thermostat or switch? Or both?
Good idea to be able to turn it off for water crossings. :D

Also, you have a HJ, is it 24 volt?

do NOT go elec, they are crap to say it mildly.
get a solid fan and be done with it. the mines got rid of the clutch fans and use a solid fan for a reason, they WORK.
elec are for Chevs
cheers

crushers said:
do NOT go elec, they are crap to say it mildly.

Wayne,

You know my feeling on electric fans. Since I went pure electric a couple of years ago I have not been able to keep them working reliably. 3 blown two speed fans plus 3 melted fan controllers.

BUT, I think in this application it might be the right thing. Keep the clutch fan that has some nice water fording qualities. Add an electric pusher fan if needed for extra cooling (not primary). This should give a best of both worlds kind of scenario.

Those electric fans shouldn't draw too much so you may have a good chance of getting a controller to last. My fan can draw nearly 30 amps which seems to be a little to much for all the off the shelf controllers...

Marc

I do not recomend the electric fans either. If you think about why they make clutch fans it is to give back some power to the engine, most of the time you will barily notice the power drane and if you are in a place that you need the fan most of the time just go with solid fan and be done with it.

I sell converted clutch fans (to solid) for the 3B engines they work great and no modifications and changes for the pulleys or water pump. On my 3B engines in 7x series they bring the temp down on average about 5degrees F.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Michael
http://westcoastcruisers.org

hj60 said:
How are you going to control it? Thermostat or switch? Or both?
Good idea to be able to turn it off for water crossings. :D

I already have a switch to control the fan, that I already have a generic electric fan, but now I'm want to go more .. :D Realy I don't thing in eliminate the stock fan with my fan clutch.

Radd Cruiser said:
Also, you have a HJ, is it 24 volt?

Nop is 12V but with 90 AMP alternator and 2 AC Delco Deep Cycle 1000 AMP CC. :D

I would not go electric. The less electrical headaches the better. The cruisers were built for pretty extreme environments - if they thought they should install a chev type fan they would have copied the design and made it better.

Just my opinion.

The eletric fan is a add on .. not to replace a factory fan .. is to help my cooling system through serius off roading, at low speeds, and by the way my AC :D

I agree with the idea that the stock fan is going to provide you with better long-term reliability.
I agree with Wayne's impression of the rabid "hey, if Toyota didn't do it that way it won't work"-- c'mon! If toyota were perfect we wouldn't have this forum. :)
I agree that if MOST of your driving is slow speed and/or hot, a solid fan conversion is the way to go

Dang, I'm agreeable this morning.

But if you just need a little somthin to help lower temps some of the time, seems to me that a pusher can help you out. of course, if you are overheating at low speeds there might be something else wrong and you should check that first.

Good luck!

We just deal with too much salt here. It wouldnt be too long before the wires were toast. I have never had overheating problems with any of my gas or diesel cruisers. In fact I had a hard time keeping some of my diesel cruisers warm in the winter.

sandcruiser said:
I agree with Wayne's impression of the rabid "hey, if Toyota didn't do it that way it won't work"-- c'mon! If toyota were perfect we wouldn't have this forum. :)
Good luck!
actually, i mentioned that the mines took the clutch fans off and installed the fixed one...
Toyota did mess up... they didn't give us the COOL cruisers till 15 years later...

Well let me explain the case .. my HJ-60 with 2H works fine, very well, but well you know, sometimes you want more. In my case, I do all that I can on my engine.

Totaly rebuild from scratch with all Toyota ( with the Toyota beauty box ) parts. valves, pistons etc ..
Totaly rebuild to my Diesel lineal pump, with off course new inyectors Denso.
K&N filter, ok .. I'm agree, I need to buy a turbo, but right now I don't have in my account 3000 USD to do that.
Rebuild my cooling system, rad, pipes, hoses etc ..

Then to get a little more power I change ( off course in a diesel lab ) my stock config in my diesel pump to get more diesel ..

In the diesel engines, when you get in the cilinder more diesel, than the engine can burn, = overhead.

This is my story. :D

The only problem with a fixed fan is that the fins can snap off in cold weather when crossing water deep water.

REgards

this can happen even with the clutch fans, the plastic fans can also be drawn into the rad during water crossings tearing out the guts of your rad.
there are 2 options you can consider, the first is to replace the plastic fan with a steel one or you can buy the newer style plastic fan that has the ring around the outside of the blades.
ifyou run a fixed fan the egts will go up about 50 degree but, for me, this is nothing compared to watching the temp guage crawl up as i climb a long hill wondering if the clutch will kick in soon enough. i love the fixed fan but it is not for everyone.

Yep I know the fixed fan is a relly option in slow speeds .. but in my case, I love drive mi TLC on the highway and on the trail .. I know we can have all good thinks from both worlds .. :D

Anyone know bout hi performance fan clutch .. ? Flex a Lite ( for example ) have a steel fan replacement .. ? ( or hi performance stock fan replacement )

hummm, curious about that statement as well. i drive the fixed faned HZJ75 at 160 km/h with no ill side effects... why do you differentiate between low speeds and highway speeds?
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom