Electric Fan information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My fj40 runs at 200 to 230 on the trails in the texas heat and I would like to get an electric fan to move more air across my radiator. Does anyone know of any good electric fans for these vehicles? and how difficult is the instalation? Thanks.

More information: My rig has a chevy 350 in it and is running a stock fj40 radiator.

I used an aluminum radiator and Spal fan on my 40 with a 350. This past weekend, I stayed at 190-195 crawling low range in hot humid 90+ temps. Except the time I forgot to turn the fan on-:doh:.

I purchased this one and installed it on my aftermarket radiator. It's a nice size and fits well with my engine, although I'm running a ford 351, and not a Chevy.

Proform Parts 67015 - Proform Electric Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It goes on at 180, and cycles on and off every few minutes are so. The temperature probe is a little finicky, so you may want to wire it to a switch, so you can turn it on manually. Mine is automatic, and for a daily driver, works well. It sure pulls a lot of air when it gets going, sounds like an aircraft taking off!

Do you think that adding this fan will move enough air under the hood to eliminate vapor lock?

There has been a lot written about the Carb fan and tough vapor lock starts, wouldn't it be just as effective to use a fan to move the hot air out from under the entirety of hood as it is just under the carb?

Maybe using an aftermarket Electric fan would solve this too?

i run the ford taurus 2 speed fan and love it! it was not hard to wire and moves a ton of air even on low speed. you may have to upgrade your alternator if you don't have a high output one already. i used an alternator from an 84 camaro with V-8 105 amp and about 55 amp just off idle. works great so far but people will say to use a mechanical fan instead because they cant just stop working. they usually recommend one from a Cadillac because of size and amount of air they move but it would hit my lower radiator hose so i went taurus instead.

read through these. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/50141-electric-fan-faq-links.html

and i used this wiring diagram from fussy_cruiser to wire it. but i went a fixed thermostat to turn on high speed instead of adjustable got both from summit (high and low speed thermostats) i went a 210 degree one for high speed http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BCI-75099/ and one like this for low speed http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-ZFSWF/ you can also find them on eBay some times and you can get them for on and off at different temps if you like.

good luck!
Fan Wiring.jpg

Last edited:
The fan from the MarkVIII and the Tarus witht he 3.8 liter V6 from the mid '90s is flat out the best electric fan out there.

But... as good as it is... a good clutch fan will move a lot more air. Get on of the big GM fans off a caddy or other heavy car/truck from the 70s/80s and you will move more air than anything else you can find. a couple bucks at any junkyard.

High flow water pump (or at least an anti-cavitation plate installed in a regular waterpump) is a must iMHO.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom