Electric car charging stations, and cruiser batteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So driving my huge Land Cruiser I am seeing more and more electric charging stations for all of the new supposed smart cars.

The latest was in Palm Beach Gardens Florida where the electric car parking and charging actually got preferred parking over even the handicapped.

Being the decadent American that I am I want to know if I can take advantage of this :)

Is there someway to adapt the charging station so that I could plug it into my vehicle and slowly top off both my batteries?

Or you could just fix your alternator...

Pretty doubtful, those stations have to put out a huge amount of power in a relatively short amount of time. The most powerful being something like 43KW. Where as a traditional car battery will be like 1.2-1.5KW.

So driving my huge Land Cruiser I am seeing more and more electric charging stations for all of the new supposed smart cars.

The latest was in Palm Beach Gardens Florida where the electric car parking and charging actually got preferred parking over even the handicapped.

Being the decadent American that I am I want to know if I can take advantage of this :)

Is there someway to adapt the charging station so that I could plug it into my vehicle and slowly top off both my batteries?

Alternator works great but I’ve got fridge to run 24/7 so it would be handy.

Our local Walmart has these stations set up to fill up for FREE.

So I parked my Studebaker there since no one was using them.......

It would involve a bit of hardware on your side, as the standard Level 2 EVSE is simply a switch box for 240V AC. The charger module is located in the car, typically stepping up the voltage to 300-400V DC for the HV battery...You would need at a minimum:

-Vehicle side charge receptacle
-Arduino or some micro controller to handshake with the EVSE station
-12 V battery charger that runs on 240V AC, and has galvanic isolation

Now the Tesla superchargers are a whole different beast (high power, high voltage DC).

As a platform the 80 is heavy enough to do it - someone would just have to want to...

Tuck a ~2L diesel generator under the hood far back where the transmission sits.
Mount a pair of high torque motors where the t-case is and use them to turn the front & rear diffs.
Pack the volume of space where the spare tire and aux tank sit with battery cells.
Pack some more batteries in the now void space under the hood.

Removes 1000lbs or so of powertrain.
Adds 2000lbs or so of batteries.

Plug in hybrid 80. Electric range should be ~100 miles. Diesel & electric combined range should be ~ 400 miles.

Doing a conversion like that would be somewhere in the $40K range. Pretty much a diesel-electric locomotive at that point.

Or use this built in power supply. and just attach a small generator...:smokin:

My car is plugged in at the medical center down the street right now

BTW, please don't park in those spots unless you watch that spot daily and know that nobody ever parks there or there are several available. :flamesuit:

I'd rock an electric 80 any day :eek: BTW, this is pretty old, but I think the battery technology will be there in a decade or so to give a heavy truck decent range. Just need to fend off the rust bug until then.

Last edited:
Just move to Minnesota. Most parking lots there have 110v outlets available

But then you'd have to live in Minnesota!

:doh:

BTW, please don't park in those spots unless you watch that spot daily and know that nobody ever parks there or there are several available. :flamesuit:

Yeah, there is only ever (1) Chevy Volt parked there and there are 5 stalls.

I watch them because I also watch the Handicap stalls, as my son has cerebral palsy and we need the stall when he's along.
Yes, I'm THAT GUY when it comes to policing those. I have and do call the LEO when someone is parked in them that doesn't belong. My wife is afraid I'm going to get shot one of these days because I confront people parking there.

As far as the free electric gas stations, meh... If the lot is full, I won't hesitate to park in an electric spot. It's not illegal........yet. I'm in the middle of a city. If you live so far away from Walmart that your electric car is out of gas, you need to change what you're doing.

I sometimes park my 80 with the big solar panel on top in the EV charging spots at work. Not once has security hassled me, but a self-rightous guy working with me gave me a tough time since he didn't have a spot for his Tesla :rolleyes:. I told him he needed a solar panel to really be green like me :flipoff2:.

It's a sign of the times, but we have about 10 charging spots, and about 15 Teslas in the lot. Ya gotta get there early if you want the free company powa'!

Finishing rack build, then, GOT Solar.

I find this somehow relevant.
20160626_152117.jpg

I saw that same sticker on a Prius last week :cool:

I've thought about getting a sticker for my Volt that says "my other car is a gas-guzzling clunker"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom