Electric A/C Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok brains trust, has any one looked into or have experience with electric A/C compressors? I'm talking about the type used in things like a Prius, Leaf or Volt, and Tesla, but there are also stand alone units available that don't need CANbus inputs.

The reason I'm looking into this rabbit hole is trouble finding a suitable compressor bracket for a RHD 2F with power steering pump and less load on engine. I'm also not too keen on mounting the compressor down low like the fj60 engine mount bracket does, and this is probably the easiest type to source.

I realise it would probably need a dual battery system and an upgrade of the alternator, but these are things I was considering anyway if I want to run a fridge.

I know a lot of this boards members have other vehicular interests and experience so thought I'd put it out there.

less load on engine
No such thing as a free ride, removing a reasonably efficient belt driven AC compressor from the front of the engine and replacing that with an electric compressor that’s capable of preforming the same task would not require lees engine power, very good chance when you factor loss with inefficiencies and added weight you would be giving up more than you think.

Might be easier to convert everything into watts to figure apple to apple power requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom