Eldorado Canyon Run February 24th 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trail: El Dorado Canyon

Description: This is a scenic fun trail that runs the canyons the East of Dayton. There are a lot of rock formations, mining, and trees along a creek that make this an interesting trail. Sure to be new with all the floods that went thru there last year. Trail has been rerouted in some places. Some recon will be done prior to run date to check status of trail.

Date: Saturday, 2/24/2018

Trail Leader: Mark

Meeting Time:Leave time 9:30
Meeting Location: The parking lot of Sinclair gas station and store in Dayton, corner of Hwy 50 and bridge by the first light in Dayton coming from Carson City.

Trail Difficulty: Some unknowns. Mostly 2 on the road, 3 in the creek; hopefully no mud

Additional Equipment needed: Lunch, probably at the cave. Look for gold in this area.

Duration of Run: About 3-4 hrs depending on the trail conditions-this will be a run to the cave and back out the road to avoid tearing the trail up at the "last hill" It will usually be Mud or snow this time of year.

Tread Lightly / CB Channel 3/ HAM 146.460 simplex

I’m going to put this on my “have to be there” calendar. We’ll see if it works out this time...

Gonna put this on the calendar and try and grab my buddy that is in the process of getting a 60. Probably won't have it by then but he can at least ride with me, may bring other buddy with his jeep. Ladies may be in tow as well.

Dumb question.. but
- difficulty 2 on road means..... washboard road with some rocks, ruts, etc?
- difficulty 3 in creek means????

Just trying to get a feel for what I would be getting myself into.

difficutly 2 means some bread box or bowling ball size rocks that you need to pick your way through, may need a spot to avoid damage to under carriage, rocker panels or sheet metal. No washboard but some sand. Stock friendly trail. I've gone through in my chevy pick up without damage.

#3 just means bigger rocks and wet tires and some mud. Locker needed at times.

That being said the trail has changed from the wet year in 2016. I have only been in 1/4 of the way in 2017. I'm sure the trail has been redesigned by others going thru all the way. I will be taking a run out there this month or Feb to make sure it is still doable as a stock trail.

1 means 'Keep your foot on the floor.'
2 means 'Bumpy enough to put the baby to sleep.'
3 means 'Starting to be interesting.'
4 means 'Yeesh! How did we make it through that?'
5 means 'WTF that isn't a road, that is a wash full of boulders.'

I’ll be in whatever rig is running by then. Probably the 62. I’d say you need a 2-3” lift and a good limited slip to make it easy. We got a stock grand Cherokee through 5 years ago but the bumpers and the exhaust weren’t too pretty afterward..

We are going to try for this one. Just a little worried about my soft top and the tree branches. Maybe the Hundy??? That one rock garden with no bypass night be a problem for her.
3" lift and triple locked, what do you guys think?

LOL... see I have 2" lift, 31s and stock everything else. This is going from a "Yeah that might be doable" to "This might be a bit dicey!"

You’ll be fine. It gets driven enough it should be doable

Gonna pick up a little Baofeng UV-5R this weekend so I can stay in the loop for communications during trail runs. Eventually will get my tech certificate/license... but question is, is there a list of repeaters and channels for us in the area? Did a little searching but couldn't find anything definitive.

That's a good idea. I listen in as well without my license. We should go to he next class and become legit. I'm sure there is a repeater in that area but you don't need it. Just using our regular channel works fine. 146.460 simplex:cyclops:. I am rolling again in my cruiser so I might get out there Friday afternoon to check the trail out:wacky:.

Greg, not only do I have that list I also have the cable to program it automatically in your radio. I can loan you the tuff, or I can just swap you one of my UV-5Rs (have two, barely been used) which is already programed, the next time I see you. Whatever works.
Or do it yourself. The file is here: Community Repeater Directory - Sierra Nevada Amateur Radio Society, Inc
Download Chrip (free) and get the file and load it in. The cable is pretty cheap too.

It's tough to hit the repeaters when you are in deep canyons like that, but like Mark said simplex is really all you need for trail runs.
The tech license is a piece of cake.

Go Here

Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ Ham Radio

and take the practice test until you can pass every one. (There are multiple sets of questions.)

If you spend half an hour a night a couple of times a week you will be ready in no time.

Greg, not only do I have that list I also have the cable to program it automatically in your radio. I can loan you the tuff, or I can just swap you one of my UV-5Rs (have two, barely been used) which is already programed, the next time I see you. Whatever works.
Or do it yourself. The file is here: Community Repeater Directory - Sierra Nevada Amateur Radio Society, Inc
Download Chrip (free) and get the file and load it in. The cable is pretty cheap too.

@MagmaFJ Do you have the original UV-5R or a newer version? Get paid on Friday so was planning on ordering one from Amazon along with the cable. I use a Mac so would have to see if CHiRP works but I believe someone stated in another thread that it does.

As for the class, @Krusty Krab we should find out when the next HAM Cram is and do it then. I looked and saw that there is one this coming weekend (the 17th) but wife and I will be out of town. Looks like SNAR does it ever couple of months. Just really want to have it so I am "legit". Maybe a topic for the meeting, get a group of people together to go take the test.

They do every other month in Reno and the opposite month in Carson, so every month there is a test somewhere.

I had issues getting CHiRP working on one of the macs so I used a PC to do the programing. But in theory either can work.
My radios are UV-5Rv2+

They do every other month in Reno and the opposite month in Carson, so every month there is a test somewhere.

I had issues getting CHiRP working on one of the macs so I used a PC to do the programing. But in theory either can work.
My radios are UV-5Rv2+
Good to know on the testing, makes things for @Krusty Krab and myself a lot easier than having to run up to North Reno for the test.

Yes I got out there. It was an awesome day despite the cold and Black Rock playa dust.
Well the trail is there and doable but probably not easily by a stock rig. About 4 more river crossings than there were 2 years ago. The crossings are deep with steep drop offs. So longer wheelbase would need some clearance and rocker protection. I plan on bringing some pruners and a saw to trim some trees back. Once you get in about a half a mile the old trail is back with a few more rocks in it.

So this is my suggestions for those who want to try it. At least a 2 inch lift, 33s, and lower gears. Lockers weren't needed except I was messing around in a few places and got stuck:eek:(not paying attention like I should have, being alone and all). Once in a big mud hole and once in a river crossing , I should have gotten out and looked at both. I got way off to the the side with a steep approach and was up against my front bumper. Had to locker on (loose river rock) and back up out of the river the take a line further to the left. It was a bit off camber but no problemo. So it was mostly clearance issues thru the river and some rocks that could be easily spotted over.
Hope this helps. Great trail with all the geology and scenery. Was warm in the canyon on a 45 degree day with no wind. Fricken freezing on the way home with the wind and temp. And Dan, I saw the ancient Pyroclastic flow.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom