Eibach pro-truck lift kit review? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No disrespect intended at all to Tanner H, and I have run Eibach suspension in the past for other uses (Auto-X/road racing)...but the one size fits all approach on this probably doesn't work for anyone who does overland runs or goes off-road very often. For a lifted mostly street-driven vehicle, the manners of the suspension are probably excellent. But without spring rate options...there's no means to accommodate the extra weight a lot of people add to our vehicles. My build will add close to 200# to the front end...and probably close to 400# to the rear. I fear that much constant loading is going to induce sag in these softer springs, and may well fatigue them faster as well.

But thanks for sharing the info! I tried to get that information out of Eibach through Camburg...but to no avail.

Junior,

No offense at all. This kit was developed around stock weight, stock bumpers..etc... sure it can handle heavier loads and armor, but we wanted it to be sprung and valved for close to stock weight. Lets face it...most GX's arent fully built out (including mine). I dont daily my GX, but it gets a ton of road trip pavement as well as some of our tougher trails here in Southern California.

However, we are coming out with a really nice kit exactly for builds like yours. Up front will be a fully threaded coilover body with a spring design that accepts your traditional coilover spring that is grounded flat on both ends. The kit will come with 600lb springs but you can swap out any rate you need and adjust the height accordingly.

Same with the rear...the rear springs will sit on an adjustable perch and there will be three different rates to choose from (stock weight, medium weight 250lb of added weight , and heavy duty 400 lb's of added weight )

Here is a quick spy shot of the coilover on my GX, followed by the rear adjuster setup to give you an idea of the setup. In my opinion this setup is overkill for a mild build with no added weight. But for someone that needs spring rate choices and ride height dialing...its going to be perfect.

20 FRONT.jpg

REAR SETUP.jpg

Junior,

No offense at all. This kit was developed around stock weight, stock bumpers..etc... sure it can handle heavier loads and armor, but we wanted it to be sprung and valved for close to stock weight. Lets face it...most GX's arent fully built out (including mine). I dont daily my GX, but it gets a ton of road trip pavement as well as some of our tougher trails here in Southern California.

However, we are coming out with a really nice kit exactly for builds like yours. Up front will be a fully threaded coilover body with a spring design that accepts your traditional coilover spring that is grounded flat on both ends. The kit will come with 600lb springs but you can swap out any rate you need and adjust the height accordingly.

Same with the rear...the rear springs will sit on an adjustable perch and there will be three different rates to choose from (stock weight, medium weight 250lb of added weight , and heavy duty 400 lb's of added weight )

Here is a quick spy shot of the coilover on my GX, followed by the rear adjuster setup to give you an idea of the setup. In my opinion this setup is overkill for a mild build with no added weight. But for someone that needs spring rate choices and ride height dialing...its going to be perfect.

View attachment 2408483

View attachment 2408484

Now we are talking...that's dead sexy. Any idea when that package will be available?

Junior,

View attachment 2408483

View attachment 2408484
Is your team also putting together something like this for the 100 series?

Yep the 100 currently has our stage 1 kit, but we are also working on a heavy duty rear spring and eventually a height-adjustable rear. No plans for a torsion bar unfortunately.

@Tanner H any idea on a release date? I’m shopping now and the Coilover option is very tempting for my gx470.
Any specs on the Shock bodies themselves?

@subspd sorry I never saw this reply. Must have gotten buried. No solid eta on the 2.0 coil overs up front. The rate and valving feels great but I believe the team is going to work on the overall length to get more lift out of the setup without too much preload.
The rear adjustable kit should be on the shelves in a month or so.

REVIEW + Install Checklist

Hey everyone. I've had this kit installed for about a month now and love it. My GX is a daily driver and the roads here in Denver are horrible, so I'm very happy with the end result. I can't say how this compares to stock, as what I replaced was 15 years old and was shot. But, this setup is perfect for me. I'd say it feels similar to my previous '16 4Runner SR5 around town and over manhole covers, etc, but much less body roll than my 4Runner in turns at speed, which we have a lot of once you head out of town. The 2" lift was also perfect - I didn't want or need anything more and as most of you know, can run w stock CV axles with 2" lift. I'm a noob to GX's and don't have the technical skills most of you have. So, first, thanks for all the info this group shares - its helped me get my GX dialed since I bought it 6 months ago. Second, I'm going to post a few pics and my checklist I thought a future noob installer may find helpful. Its meant to be a supplement to the videos I watched in advance -links below. Eibach doesn't have a video to reference, but Monroe and Strutmasters do.

When I got my GX, I noticed a rattly feel in the steering and it just wasn't tight. This was a 130K mi one-owner car previously and all the suspension parts are original. I ended up deciding halfway through the Eibach upgrade to replace the sway bar bushings and end links. When I went to get it aligned, they couldn't align it bc they said my inner and outer tie-rod ends were shot, which they were. So, I got under the car again and replaced those too. Now, after alignment, it drives really well. The tie rod ends, bushings and end links aren't that much depending on what brand you go with. I went with MOOG and another brand from Advance Auto parts and O'Reillys. Maybe an extra $250. I should have planned on doing all of it at once.

Tanner from Eibach is reachable by phone in CA and he was very helpful to me 2x during the install - once before I started and once during. Very happy with this set up and the $810 and free shipping is a great deal. Thanks Tanner!

I now measure 11" clearance under the front skid plate, 11.5 under the exhaust in the middle of the GX, and 18" clearance along the sides where some sliders will go next year. This is perfect for tackling anything I want to conquer while dispersed camping and mountain-biking here in the mountain west.

Some links and pics attached, as well as the install checklist.

Strutmasters Front install

Strutmasters Rear install

Monroe Rear Install

gx after 1.jpeg

gx after 2.jpeg

gx before.jpeg

Attachments

• Eiback Pro Lift Kit install GX470.pdf
    37.4 KB · Views: 169
Thanks for the honest write up, man. Any cons to the kit that you can share? whether it be physical parts or instructions? I feel as though our instructions lack a few steps to help in the process. I always recommend people to watch the Monroe coil conversion video for the rear...makes life easier.

man...that before photo...looks like you're on lowering springs.

Not to hijack, but I have a question for @Tanner H — I've seen varying measurements on the final lift height for the Eibach kit. Some list 2-3" and others list 2.7-3.3" — could you clarify?

2" would be about perfect for me, but I'm less sold on 2.7.

Not to hijack, but I have a question for @Tanner H — I've seen varying measurements on the final lift height for the Eibach kit. Some list 2-3" and others list 2.7-3.3" — could you clarify?

2" would be about perfect for me, but I'm less sold on 2.7.

I’m not Tanner but I’ll take a poke at this...
The additional height you’ll get out of any lift is not just a function of the lift, it’s also dependent on how “clapped out” your existing suspension is.
You and I might put on the exact same kit, but if my stuff is more worn, I’ll get more “lift” than you will, as we measure the amount of lift relative to how much vertical height we’ve gained.
That’s why you almost always see lift numbers given in a range.

Thanks for the honest write up, man. Any cons to the kit that you can share? whether it be physical parts or instructions? I feel as though our instructions lack a few steps to help in the process. I always recommend people to watch the Monroe coil conversion video for the rear...makes life easier.

Yeah, I would say the only CON were the instructions. Between them and the videos I was able to make it through OK, so it wasn't that big a deal. It looks like you are getting a lot of interest in this kit, so making a video for these and future kits is a no-brainer. Will help you sell more of them, too. The things I found most difficult were removing the old parts, so any hints or tricks when taking stuff off is super helpful. Like the picture I showed of the rear shock with the punch in the side to help break the top nut loose. And showing how you can't fit the new strut assembly back into place without disconnecting the UCA from the hub. I don't think that was in the instructions anywhere. Torque specs given, or "tighten until you see a couple threads" - that's always helpful so you aren't stopping to google it mid-install with filthy hands. Printable instructions would still be helpful, but there is room for more detail on those, too.

Packaging and the parts were great. You could tell they are really high quality when you open the box. Overall, really happy w this kit. And the fact that you can get a knowledgeable person on the phone is huge. When you have your front end torn apart and you need it back together because its your driver, its nice to be able to talk to someone who can help. Cheers.

Tanner, sorry to post in this thread but your inbox is full.
I ordered an Eibach pro kit for my GX 470 about 3 weeks ago and Poly Perfomance is telling me they’re not due to ship from you guys until some time in December. I wanted to 1- check if that’s true and 2- see if you had a rough estimate of when the coil over Kati for the 470 will be released and and Idea of how much it would cost. Thanks!

Let me know if you have any questions on it it. I know I sound like a used car salesman..but its impossible to keep this kit on the shelf. So whatever we did, it must be working!
Tanner- Does Eibach have a rear coil spring suited for an LX470 running a slightly sensor lifted factory AHC hydraulic suspension system? I'm looking for an option to replace sagging factory rear springs other than King Springs KTRS-79, which are unobtainium at the moment due to their dealers not shipping out of Australia right now because Covid. Please see the attached thread when you have a moment.

King Springs AHC KTRS-79

Thought I'd chime in with my experience here- I installed the kit on my 470 a month or two ago. This kit rides really well, on fire roads and bumpy mountain roads it feels just like the stock suspension which is amazing.

However, I measured before and after heights and only gained about 1-1.5" in the rear (noticeably lower than the "high" setting from the old airbag height control). It's installed on an otherwise stock vehicle, and heights were measured on level ground with half a tank and an empty vehicle. Poking around the GXOR page, it seems there's a few people who have also installed this lift and saw little to no difference in ride height. I'd love to hear your input on this Tanner, the rear springs are not quite what I expected.

Another thing to note is that the kit doesn't increase droop travel over the stock configuration. The limiting factor is still the sway bar end link. I plan to switch to a set of 2nd gen 4Runner end links to see if I can get to the end of the shock travel in droop. I did not measure how much longer the new shocks are compared to the stockers, but I'm curious to see if they offer more droop.

20200825_122533.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom