EGR VSV Success on my LX450 (fj80) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The AutoZone site claims they give a lifetime warranty on the part. Might be worth the extra $ to pick it up from them and when it dies just drive up and swap out. Thoughts?
I'm on my 2nd one in 50k and I just started getting the CEL for P0401 again every few days. Not sure that's the cause this time but I've replaced everything but the actual EGR in my system so far.
I will give the oem part a chance with your input. Autzone is $45.99 with an only limited warranty vs oem average of $94.00 for worry free and move on fix. Thanks SCCThree

Based on how hard the VSV is to replace, even if you replace with OEM, wouldn't it make sense to extend the lines and mount it out from under the intake just in case it goes bad? Unless you are going for the pure OEM look or have emissions check issues, this sounds like a good idea to me. Anyone else?

Just replaced mine this evening. The hard parts were the bottom bolt of the intake bracket and then getting the inner most hose connected to the little T connector. Cleared the CEL and will report back after I drive it some this week. If this does indeed fix the P0401 I'll be super happy. Thanks to OP for the write-up!

I think I'm going to make an L bracket to mount it where the upper intake bracket bolt goes.

So I've put several hundred miles on my tank so far this week and the CEL is still off. Think this might have done it! Will make a bracket this weekend and call it good.

My CEL has been on the past year and it was time for the emissions check. ObdII said P0401 leading to this post. Changed the vsv and drove a few miles. Dropped into the emissions garage and passed!! Btw, that bracket that blocks the vsv was a royal pain to remove.

Ill be replacing my VSV with the dorman unit this week as well. It seems like the only possible reason for my 0401 unless I'm missing something...I've applied vacuum to the EGR valve at idle and my engine stalls so I know that is fine...there are no plugged lines.... One thing I'm not sure about though...is there supposed to be vacuum at idle coming out of the line that plugs in to the VSV (the line that would provide vacuum from the engi e to the VSV)...or is that a different function. I think maybe the exhaust gas isn't even getting through/past the VCV or in to or past the charcoal canister to provide pressure...I do have a stronger than normal gas smell at idle. I'm thinking vacuum isn't even coming in to the VSV in the first place... Should there be pressure coming in to the charcoal canister at idle once the engine is warmed up?

Last edited:
Ill be replacing my VSV with the dorman unit this week as well. It seems like the only possible reason for my 0401 unless I'm missing something...I've applied vacuum to the EGR valve at idle and my engine stalls so I know that is fine...there are no plugged lines.... One thing I'm not sure about though...is there supposed to be vacuum at idle coming out of the line that plugs in to the VSV (the line that would provide vacuum from the engi e to the VSV)...or is that a different function. I think maybe the exhaust gas isn't even getting through/past the VCV or in to or past the charcoal canister to provide pressure...I do have a stronger than normal gas smell at idle. I'm thinking vacuum isn't even coming in to the VSV in the first place... Should there be pressure coming in to the charcoal canister at idle once the engine is warmed up?
Did you ever find out if there is supposed to be vacuum there? Trying to solve this on mine now

This worked for me as well!

Great video below. Go get a few feet of different sized vacuum hose before you start. It is needed and gives you to work and reroute as needed. My T is now out from under the manifold.

I did not remove the lower bolt on the bracket, just pushed it over. Will report back on how long it last. Mpg had dropped by 3 with this code.

Need to do this to mine. I think it might be related to my acceleration "surge" issue. Thanks for the video!

For those of you struggling with code P0401, I just successfully completed an experiment with the VSV. After testing my EGR system, I discovered that I had a dead VSV. It wasn't turnng on when applying 12v to it. It was fried and in need of replacement. I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $119 for the oem toyota part... besides, no one had it locally here in the DFW area. It seems that in most cases it's a special order part. None of the retail auto parts stores seem to carry an aftermarket replacement either. Being the impatient person I am, I started looking for an alternative way to repair my VSV issue without having to special order and wait for a part. My assumption was that the VSV didn't necessarily need to be the exact oem part. Afterall, it's basically just a vacuum solenoid that turns on and off, either allowing vacuum to the egr when 12v is applied to it or not allowing vacuum to the egr when no voltage is supplied. In my thinking, I figured any vacuum solenoid from any manufacturer should work as long as it fit the toyota vsv's electrical plug off of the wiring harness. Side note: Apparently there are a lot of terms for this particular part among different manufacters: vsv, egr control valve, egr vacuum solenoid, etc...

So I searched different locally available parts that had the same function as the toyota VSV part #90910-12079. There are literally hundreds of vsv parts out there. I ended up stumbling across this one at autozone. Dorman/EGR Vacuum Solenoid (911-850) | AutoZone.com. It's dorman part #911-850. It was the closest thing I could find to the toyota vsv that was instantly available, so I bought it and decided to give it a shot.

I ended up just leaving the broken vsv in place and relocating the new vsv just outside of the intake manifold. I bought some new vacuum tubing and extended the lines to reach my new mounting location. I unplugged the blue electrical connector plug from the old vsv and plugged up the new part. I did have to shave off a little piece of plastic on the new vsv so the plug would fit, but it was minor and took about 30 seconds to modify. After it was all plugged in, I zip tied the new part in place, tidied up my install and went for a test drive. The second I hit 50mph on the interstate, my egr system showed "readiness" on my code reader. No CEL. All systems show readiness, and my LX450 is as good as new!

So my theory was correct that other aftermarket vacuum solenoids will work fine on the fj80 egr system as long as you're ok with it not mounting in the orignal location and as long as the part just has 2 vacuum ports and the right electrical plug. I just used what was available to me and in stock locally and it cost me $45, but I assume you could pick a similar part up for as little as $15 depending on your local stock.

All in all, the whole process took about 25 minutes. The hardest part was moving the black intake bracket out of the way so I could get my hand underneath the intake to access the vsv vacuum lines and electrical plug. Once I figured out how to get a ratchet on the bottom bolt of the intake bracket it was smooth sailing.

If anyone is interested, I can snap some pics to show the process. I have to admit it feels really good to have that CEL off and all systems "ready" with no codes! And on top of that, I have the satisfaction of not getting screwed out of $120 for a really cheap little part! Take that Toyota!
Is there a way to put the new vsv in the original spot?

Is there a way to put the new vsv in the original spot?
Pull the upper plenum of the intake manifold. You can clean the throttle body and replace the small coolant lines while you have it off. You access the bolts from the bottom of where the upper and lower plenum meet.

Wow this is great news. Will it work on the 93/94 models? Anyone done that yet. I have one of each, so this will work on the 97, but how about my 93?

This worked out great for me. Thanks so much for posting. I veered slightly from the approach and reused the existing hoses and UV epoxied the threaded stud of the new VSV to the side of the existing VSV. Because the hoses were in good shape I didn't want to attempt to reattach new hoses. I had a hell of a time getting my hands in that space. Thanks again!

Thank you Op
Code is gone

20230810_171904.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom