Egr Valve On 2l-te (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well here I am at the egr valve. I've tried to find out as much as I could as to why we should disconnect or remove this valve from our 2l-te motors, but the info seems to me anyway a little ify..

So my questions are and sorry if you have covered in the past.
-Why remove / disable it?
-Dose this valve really help in combustion when active.
-What dose it really save use to disconnect it?? (fuel, heat, soot) and is it proven anywhere?
-Is there really any need for this valve at all?
-If it is out right removed from the truck, will the truck still pass emissions testing, as more stuff will be put out the exhaust system as I see it anyway..??

I'm just tring to understand this before I start playing with it.

Harveya from this board would likey be the best to answer. Maybe shoot him a pm and advise him of this post and he can give his thoughts...

hth's

gb

OK..
I will keep looking for answers to my questions..
Before playing.
Thanks

I removed the entire EGR system from my Hilux Surf including the multiple VSV's and the Butterfly Valve. I did it more to open up some space for an oil catch can rather than any expected performance reasons as it was already blocked with a plate at the intake manifold previously.

Only noticable changes with the whole system removed are...engine shakes more at shutdown (no butterfly) and boost comes on much quicker and stays on with much less right foot than before (probably related to no longer having all those VSV's doing whatever they were doing?).

When I removed the EGR pipe going to the intake manifold (that was previously blocked a year or so before), that pipe was filled with about 1-2cm of dry packed sooty crap (like you would find on your tailpipe), so that is some weak proof that disableing/removing the EGR will at least keep your engine a little cleaner if nothing else.

I have Disabled to EGR on many 2L-TX's and it seems to make them run smoother and have a bit more power. The main reason I blocked them off is because every head change I have done there is usually a ton of gunk and sludge in the intake. Most of it seems to form due to the EGR valve even in well maintained engines. The worst in poorly maintained engines with a lot of blowby and turbo seals bad, had so much gunk that 2/3 of the intake ports were blocked. It won't hurt the engine if that is what you are wondering it is for emissions only. It is there to reduce NoX emissions. I don't know emissions testing where you are but here they only do a particulate test so disconneting it won't matter.

It makes sense to me that performance would increase, since all the EGR does is re-introduce non-combustible CO2 into the chamber. Kinda counteracts the effect of the turbo, which is trying to introduce more O2 into the chamber.

To me, improved combustion = less throttle for same performance = reduced EGTs.

My EGR is gone as soon as I get a free afternoon.

Robin

If you're working at part-load a bit of EGR will actually improve efficiency. The warmer cylinder temp will help reduce the ignition delay and will result in a more complete burn. Plus the fact that the unburnt fuel that goes through the EGR is given a 2nd chance.

SO other than emissions why did they put this valve on..??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom