EGR test verification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this on a really thread, but no responses, so I thought maybe that was the thread was really stale, so sorry for the dupe:

Testing myEGR valve...
If I draw a vacuum on it with my mitey vac, it moves the diaphragm, but bleeds down immediately. So that seems like it's bad.
Also, if I move the diaphragm, I still can't blow air through the valve. Also seems bad. (Air can't get through path exhaust would follow.)

Sound right?

I cleaned EGR passages 12k miles ago, so maybe not setting the cel ?

If the valve is bad, could that affect my power brake booster leaking down?
Or they both just failed at the same time.

Any issue with replacing the studs that attach the EGR with bolts?

I am having issues with mine I found three disconnected lines. One thing I was going to try when mine is running again was cap one side of the t and put vacuum on it manually while running. it should change the idle.

Both the brake booster and EGR valve have diaphragms and I don't think that they are related--2 different systems. I think you got unlucky and both failed.

Yea the brake booster pulls vac from a different part of the intake so two separate problems. I was only talking about testing the EGR valve diaphragm functionality.

Yes, you can replace studs with bolts. Much easier to wrestle. I used stainless steel flange bolts.

Do you live in a state that requires emissions testing? I do not, so I used the Huddexpo EGR delete.

Have you removed and cleaned the EGR valve itself?

Here's a video on checking the function and cleaning an EGR valve...

Not sure if a plugged up EGR valve will test out correctly.

Recently pulled a completely clogged up EGR valve from 95 FZJ80 that had horrible (none, ever) maintenance. The diaphragm/pintle did not seem to move
when I first tested it, but after a couple hours of cleaning (and drilling) out carbon and soaking in 3-4 different cleaners, solvents, penetrating oil, it did start to move. After more work the pintle now moves freely and stays open when a vacuum is applied to one of the top vacuum pipes.

One simple way to test to see if the pintle moves is to fill the upper chamber with solvent, then apply a vacuum (or just suck on the top pipe while plugging the other with your finger) and if the diaphram moves and the pintle opens the solvent you put in the top chamber will trickle out of the bottom chamber. FWIW.

Great post this was super helpful dealing with my P0401 issue. 🙏

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom