EGr Removal Something Different (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I've got a bad gasket where the egr valve attaches to the plenum. When I undid the three 14mm bolts that hold the EGR on and detached the flex pipe I was still unable to pull the valve off because of a rod covered in sludge that comes out of the back of the EGR and goes at least 3-5" into the plenum. The rod is about .5" diameter I can't find anything in the FSM or toyodiy that shows what this thing is. I didn't yank on it too hard yet because I want to know what it is first. Should I just pull harder?

Thanks.

That rod directs the exhaust gasses down, has little holes in the bottom of it. If it is stuck in with carbon build up you would do better to remove the carb, clean off the carbon and clean it out of the intake so it doesn't get sucked into the valves.

The rod, as you call it, is part of the EGR valve and it is all one piece. The whole unit comes out together so just keep pulling and rotating it until it comes out. There is 1/2" hole in the rod - tube - at the end, but not in the end, away from the EGR valve and you will probably find the whole tube plugged with gunk. Either clean or buy a new valve. The gasket is metalized and reusible if it is all in one piece. I just took my '88's EGR out of the intake plenum to check it as the truck have been having high NOx readings at the emission station. Tube was clear and all the associated EGR stuff works per FSM spec. Have to find a workaround for the milled head!

Steve,

I am trying to differentiate in my mind why your EGR was clear, but you suspect that Austin's will be full of gunk?

Have you serviced your's earlier?

Well, he did say that it was sort of stuck in the hole it should slide right out of! :D If the exterior of the tube is so badly gunked up the interior is probably no better off. I don't think it is very unusual that you will find such conditions on 20 year old trucks that may have had sketchy service histories.
I think that I had taken some B&G throttle body cleaner to mine a few years ago and that is why it is so clean now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom