EGR Modulator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
C-Dan,
On the way to work this morning, (@ freeway speeds) My check engine light came on. I suspected it might be EGR related. I removed the filter on the modulator valve, and found it to be extremly dirty and hardend. (cleaned it up as best as possible)
My question to you is: is the filter available?? or is it one of those where you have to buy the modulator valve?
Eduardo

Eduardo,

Unfortunately the filter is not available alone. It comes as part of the modulator. Part number 25870-66011, it sells for $59.90

Have you pulled the code or codes to find out what the ECM doesn't like yet? It may be something else.

Saluid, Dan :beer:

Eduardo,

>> extremly dirty and hardend. <<

Dirty can be cleaned. Hardened is normal, even when new.

Have AutoZone pull the code(s) for you and post back.
-B-

Thanks guy's,
I cleaned the filter,and cleared the "check engine" lite. If it goes back on, on the way home, I'll have the code or codes and re- post.
Eduardo

Eduardo,
Most emissions related codes are a 2 trip logic and require the vehicle to exceed a certain speed for a specific length of time. It could be a few days before you meet the conditions that will trigger the code again.
-B-

B,Cdan,
I got a MIL on the way home, stopped by the local AutoZone, and was told they no longer scan for fault codes?
Went to see friends @ Toyota.
Fault code PO401 (insufficent exhaust gas detected)
Used troubleshooting matrix, had to improvise a little, (it sure would of been nice to have the scan tool, It seems like I could of done the diagnosis from inside the cab with the Ac on) I could not get to the VSV, and on the assumption it was ok, I replaced the modulator valve and no MIL so far!
Thanks for the help
Eduardo :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: job, it was kinda warm here yesterday

Eduardo,

If you're lucky, it will be the EGR modulator and you'll be good to go. I wasn't so lucky and struggled with the P0401 code for about a year. The group will be spared a repeat of the details on the trials and tribulations toward resolving the code.

I *strongly* recommend that you isolate the problem before you start throwing parts at the P0401. In my case, the hardest part to access (the VSV) was the failure. Now, the truck has a new EGR valve, a new EGR modulator, and a very clean EGR pipe, and finally, the new VSV. Each time the P0401 would return after a few months; usually sooner.

Search the archives for part numbers and repair suggestions.
-B-

B,
Good point, but like I mentioned earlier, it sure would be nice to own the scan tool that would allow the testing of the VSV, hell I used a mirror just to find it!!
I sure hope I got lucky! The VSV looks like a real pain to R/R.
Thanks again for all the input.
Eduardo :)

Edurado,
You too can be the proud owner of a genuine Toyota Scan Tool. Just give C-Dan a call and a credit card number, then sit down and brace yourself. :G

FYI, most cheap OBD-II scan tools will just pull the code and allow you to clear it. They'll give you basic OBD-II information like RPM, O2 sensor readings, MPH, etc. They won't do all the magic of a genuine Toyota Scan Tool.
-B-

Yup!! that's the one I'm talking about! I would even settle for some pirate software,(if there is such a thing) for the laptop!
From what I gathered from the matrix in the book, you can literaly pin-point the problem.
Ok, I'm gonna ask!
C-Dan, Cuanto cuesta?? (How much, do it cost)
Eduardo :eek:

C-Dan is playing in the Big Easy so give him a few days to get back to work, clear the cobwebs, take some penicillin, and get back with you. It could be this time next week before he has a lucid post.

Vast quantities of :beer: + C-Dan = ???
-B-

My EGR problem was solved by clearing/cleaning the build up in the intake chamber. The hole that the exhaust gas passes through inside the intake chamber was pluged.
kurt

I too have had the code for like a year and of course never thought about it when the block was out. :stupid: I'm just gonna get the vsv (assuming that's it), coat it with peanut butter and try to convince some chipmunk to replace it for me. :D

Junk,
You may have something here!
I was thinking about hireing a small kid with little hands, but thought twice due to child labor laws.
With the "chipmunk" approach, all that you would have to worry about would be the enviornmentalist groups! :G
Eduardo

Junk,
all that you would have to worry about would be the enviornmentalist groups!  :G
Eduardo
Well the dang nabbit tree huggers hate me anyway, so no loss. :D

Actually, I was thinking of finding a local neighborhood kid that wanted to learn about cars/trucks and tell him to come on over - here's the instructions and some cash - go to it as I watch. :D

Well the dang nabbit tree huggers hate me anyway, so no loss. :D

Actually, I was thinking of finding a local neighborhood kid that wanted to learn about cars/trucks and tell him to come on over - here's the instructions and some cash - go to it as I watch. :D

Humm, Maybe you could even start some kind of apprenticeship program? Since it seems like it's difficult to find a good TLC mechanic!
Eduardo

Back from New Orleans,(intact I might add)
The factory scan tool is about Four thousand bucks US.

Any takers? :dunno:

What no part #?? :G and I was gonna get one!!
I guess I'll have to put that one one the wish list!
right along with the SC and the factory lockers!!

Glad to hear you made it back from the Big Easy, intact.
Eduardo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom