EGR deleted - how to register in CA later (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2000cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I currently live in a state where emissions tests aren’t required and hoping to get more life out of the 80 after some major rework and decided to cleanly remove the EGR.

My family and I plan to move back to California in a few years, and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience registering a non native CA vehicle with the EGR removed?

Is there even a way to register the car in CA without having to reinstall it back?

I hoped that this 80 would be my forever car I can pass it on to my children :)

Thanks in advance!

I believe the EGR is a federal mandate, not just state mandate as would be the case for California. Meaning, you will be required to have it.

Instead of total delete, slip in a blocking plate to eliminate the function or block the port that control it. At least you can restore the function later.

I believe the EGR is a federal mandate, not just state mandate as would be the case for California. Meaning, you will be required to have it.

Instead of total delete, slip in a blocking plate to eliminate the function or block the port that control it. At least you can restore the function later.
Additionally, if you've modified the catalytic converters, be sure to have the CARB compliant ones reinstalled before coming back to Commiefornia and smogging. ;)

I guess I’ll just have to keep it registered out of state 😂
California probably won't be a state anymore in a few years, but its own country. Having been gone from there for 26 years, can't imagine why anyone would want to go back... Cost of living alone plus all the regulations, not worth it for the scenery to me

Aren't gas motors going to be illegal in the State-that-must-not-be-named starting 2035?

The egr may be a federal mandate and i think it is, but many states don't inspect cars for that equipment. Some don't inspect at all. Would guess you would need to be in a state that does smog testing to have an issue for sure. The city of St louis does smog testing but the rest of the state doesn't.

California probably won't be a state anymore in a few years, but its own country. Having been gone from there for 26 years, can't imagine why anyone would want to go back... Cost of living alone plus all the regulations, not worth it for the scenery to me
We also have the best weather and jobs

The egr may be a federal mandate and i think it is, but many states don't inspect cars for that equipment. Some don't inspect at all. Would guess you would need to be in a state that does smog testing to have an issue for sure. The city of St louis does smog testing but the rest of the state doesn't.
California does a full inspection. They will visually verify all factory equipment is in place and check CARB compliance for anything aftermarket. Bottom line, without a fully functioning EGR system don't plan on registering your car in California.

Be careful on the keeping it out of state thing too. I believe there is a time limit the vehicle can be in the state before its unlawful to operate without California registration. I don't recall it being a moving violation, but if you got stopped for anything else it could be a problem for you.

What is the benefit of removing it, I seriously doubt you well feel any performance or gas mileage improvement, these things are built like tanks so doubt it would make the engine last longer either.
plus I plan just like clean air.

Anything is debatable, There data is there to support my claims
For my field of study, clinical lab science, California is one of the top 5 highest paying states.

As much as I hate the idea of living in Cali, it sure is a beautiful state and I am seriously considering moving there to work for a few years in an attempt to save a chunk of money. Plus the coast and beautiful mtn's have always tempted me. I also have to be honest, everyone I have ever met from Cali was really cool. I have known a lot of really A+ individuals from Cali.

If I do end up going to Cali for work I will probably try and leave my 80 in Utah. I would just drive a newer 4 runner while I am there.

also have to be honest, everyone I have ever met from Cali was really cool. I have known a lot of really A+ individuals from Cali.
Agreed, I'm from Turlock...

I deleted my egr and pair and moved O2s to the manifold. This was a couple hours of work. I kept all the parts and could have easily put it back together in half the time. I'm sure there are plenty of 80s on here that can donate you back all the parts. Problem is, making the egr system actually function as it was intended in the first place. @Broski this is the reason most delete it to begin with.

CA is beautiful and is the 6th/7th largest economy in the world but the homelessness is out of control. It's expensive and the politicians here are worthless POS'. Expensive, as in this is perhaps why @Jgrauman lived in Turlock. I'd be living there or somewhere in the Central Valley too if I hadn't been blessed with my situation and timing of my home purchase. If you aren't making six figures, reality is you're viewed as living in poverty if you don't have two income earners.

It always cracks me up how a Can I smog my truck in Ca turns into a sh*t show of how Ca sucks, it all what you make of it. My job took me all over the States and I can say I'm not going anywhere. The view from my Deck.
1615776493198.png

Where I walk my dog, that's right no one in sight
1615776311556.png

Three minutes from my house
1615776417646.png

Five minutes the other way

1615776606288.png

Bad politics and high cost of living is the price you Pay to live in PARADISE did I mention the average temperature is 65* year-round, no humidity or mosquitoes.
Born and raised California, I only ask that you-al keep telling people that it sucks here Ha ha
Cheers ;) 🤷‍♂️

Just to be clear, I never mentioned it sucked, but the politics and homelessness do. Nothing more to see here, keep scrolling...

@Broski - The central coast is exactly why I’ll be moving back to CA. We lucked out on some decent acreage along the pismo/AG border off Noyes a long time ago and plan to retire early there. I’ve lived in downtown SF, the West Village to Texas and Seattle and I’ll tell you it doesn’t get any better than SLO county :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom