EGR Delete Questions... YES, I used search! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I have done hours worth of searching, finding LOTs of threads on this topic, e.g.

Disable the EGR system the (mostly) Toyota way

1fz-fe EGR disable ?

EGR Problem???

I'm trying to condense these down to something simple.

1. It appears (if its legal in your area or if your rig is off-road-use only) that you can simply block off the EGR system with block-off plates and plugging/removal of vacuum control lines without affecting any engine functions. Correct?
  2. It appears that you can simply short out the sensor line going to the EGR temp sensor on BOTH OBD1 and OBD2 vehicles and the Engine Controller will be none the wiser (It will simply see "high" temperature on the EGR all the time, and that apparently isn't a problem). Correct?

The reason why I ask is that there are pages and pages of debate, discussion, how-to, etc., but I'm trying to simply summarize what I think I'm reading.

So, am I reading all these threads correctly? Are #1 and #2 above correct? If not, where am I wrong?

Thanks,

Muddy1

What year 80? On my 94 I simply disconnected the vacuum lines from the top of the throttle body and looped one back to the TB and the other back to the egr valve and unplugged the temp sensor. Never had a CEL.

1. It appears (if its legal in your area or if your rig is off-road-use only) that you can simply block off the EGR system with block-off plates and plugging/removal of vacuum control lines without affecting any engine functions. Correct?
  2. It appears that you can simply short out the sensor line going to the EGR temp sensor on BOTH OBD1 and OBD2 vehicles and the Engine Controller will be none the wiser (It will simply see "high" temperature on the EGR all the time, and that apparently isn't a problem). Correct?

The reason why I ask is that there are pages and pages of debate, discussion, how-to, etc., but I'm trying to simply summarize what I think I'm reading.

So, am I reading all these threads correctly? Are #1 and #2 above correct? If not, where am I wrong?

Thanks,

Muddy1

I feel your pain, tons of info and mis-info on this topic so this thread will be useful if it doesn't get littered with BS.

1) you don't really have to block off EGR if you do the mod as described by Baldilocks above. As long as the EGR system is disabled, the EGR gas stays in the pipe and doesn't enter the head. But, blocking off plate is the ultimate.
2) i used a resistor across the ECU side of the connector that fools it into thinking that the temp is all good. No CEL for me for a long time. But you're correct in your way of thinking.

i didn't even unhook anything, just 10k ohm resistor and called it a day... i wouldn't mind finding an official connector to plug in to that though... anybody know what the part number is on that connector on a 96 LX?

What year 80? On my 94 I simply disconnected the vacuum lines from the top of the throttle body and looped one back to the TB and the other back to the egr valve and unplugged the temp sensor. Never had a CEL.
My two FZJ80s are 1997... both are OBD2

Sincerely,

Muddy1

Can someone supply a photo of this for a OBD2 engine? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks,

Muddy1

My overdue PM journey. Picture heavy.
Post #33.

I'm going block off plate to ensure loom stays cool and #6 (not beers) HG does not Old Faithful.

Think I will do PHH bypass hose at same time.

With no exhaust gas flow, egr valve closed, the tube beside the wire harness never gets very hot hence the tattle tale temp sensor.
It's short story time. I bought a 1994 80 in the spring of 2014. It had a recently rebuilt engine. About 10 months later I got a CEL and my investigation discovers the vacuum tube between the egr modulator and the egr valve had been disconnected and positioned so that no one could see it unless you were hovering over top. I connected that vacuum tube and went inside the house. The next day I went to drive the 80 over to the next town which required a few miles of highway plus the 3 miles to get to the highway. I was no more than one mile down the highway at 65mph when my head gasket blew at number six where, of course, the egr gases pass through the the head for cooling before moving on to the intake plenum though the egr valve.
Pure coincidence? Maybe. But my point is that the heat builds up to a level that you maybe concerned about only if actual exhaust flow happens through valve. But if anyone wants to go to the hassle of installing a block off plate on the side of the head I say, more power to you and please post pics bc we are all about pics here on Mud.

This is what i did the other day. I have not had time to mess with the cel... Anyone see a problem with this?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I unbolted the metal tube and cut off the end and welded it closed then bolted it back on. I made an aluminum block off plate for the intake side and called it done on my 97. I don't have a cel but I also have a piggyback ecu so the cel doesn't really apply for me. While I was there I tossed the charcoal canister and all the vsvs under the intake and next I'll be tossing the abs mess. It's much nicer to work on now with all the empty space.

This is what i did the other day. I have not had time to mess with the cel... Anyone see a problem with this?

Looks good to me. I say, you're done!

I unbolted the metal tube and cut off the end and welded it closed then bolted it back on. I made an aluminum block off plate for the intake side and called it done on my 97. I don't have a cel but I also have a piggyback ecu so the cel doesn't really apply for me. While I was there I tossed the charcoal canister and all the vsvs under the intake and next I'll be tossing the abs mess. It's much nicer to work on now with all the empty space.

Interesting you tossed the canister, so where is the fuel tank fume going to now?

I made some stainless EGR delete plates on mine. Did the resistor to eliminate the code that popped up.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
i didn't even unhook anything, just 10k ohm resistor and called it a day... i wouldn't mind finding an official connector to plug in to that though... anybody know what the part number is on that connector on a 96 LX?
A pic and the part number of the OEM resistor plug that came wih a brand new harness I bought for my 1994 last year.

82824-35020 Hope this helps.

Installing the block off plates is really not too bad. Takes some creativity and flexibility, but is pretty easy.

:clap: I drove about 150 miles so far and no issues. The biggest improvement is 0-10 mph or parking lot speeds. It was a little jerky when i would let off the gas. Big improvement when taking off

awesome, very helpful...

but that's the ECU side, correct? i'd want the opposite plug, the one that one plugs into...
Not sure what you mean. This plug goes into the engine harness socket that would otherwise be connected to the egr temp sensor. I never heard of what you are describing. Have you ran that part number? What is the actual part nomenclature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom