EGR delete causes increased temp? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just did the Hudd Expo EGR delete on my 97 Lx450 and now the temp gauge went way past midline while going uphill. I had to turn the heater to bring dial back down.

I've been using one for over a year now and I haven't seen that problem. I also don't have hills to climb.

I'm definitely not an expert on the EGR system, but I don't think the the EGR sensor and coolant temps would be correlated. I'd check out the radiator, coolant and fan clutch.

I seem to recall reading in the FSM that one of the EGR functions is to reduce combustion temperatures under certain conditions so i guess removing it could cause engine temps to increase under certain circumstances. That said, i removed mine about 2 years ago and have not noticed any temp issues.

Highly Likely not Related. You got something else goin on.

Invest in an actual temp reading device, either scanguage or ultraguage. The factory needle is largely useless.

someone sent me this:

Engine overheating

One of the first symptoms of a potential problem with the EGR is engine overheating. ...The emissions targeted by EGR come from nitrous oxides that are produced at very high temperatures. By mixing the car's exhaust with the intake air, the amount of oxygen in the mixture is reduced and its combustibility is also decreased, which causes the fuel to burn at a lower temperature. can cause the unit to overheat, at which point it will not be able to cool the exhaust gases, and the engine will overheat as a result.

Keep us posted

You either have an entirely unrelated cooling issue or monkeyed up something while deleting the EGR.

Yes, most likely this^^

FWIW - there are hundreds of this out and I have yet to hear of a related cooling issue. I would go down the road of the usual cooling shortcomings prior to working on more EGR problems. Use that scan tool for actual temps, and go from there. Blue hub, virgin coolant, etc.

PM me if you end up wanting to discuss any of this as well or via the phone.

David

I think this was the highest temp for today
145FB520-F221-45A2-8D98-A0A8A546ADA5.png

Damn man, that seems too high. Check the PHH, HCV? Thermostat maybe? I don't think it's EGR related either

Yeah, that is way too high for my comfort. I rarely see 200, even on the hottest days in AZ or the middle of the UT desert. And, I run my A/C all the time.
Ditto. Prob jinx myself but I’ve never had anything close. Even summer grinding away in 4-low in the desert.

Have you had the truck long? Is this the first summer or first time measuring temps via OBD? What’s the status of the cooling system?

It is super easy to reverse the erg delete, put it back on and do the same test.
I am with the others about a cooling system issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom