EGR Block Off: Head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do you access those bolts?

I've been trying to get to the EGR pipe connection at the head (next to the PHH) for a while now, with no avail. Do you need to pull the engine or take off the intake manifold to access the bolts? I am on a deadline to move to another city, and I would rather not mess with the intake manifold and open another can of worms in case something goes wrong.

You could leave it connected and just loop back on the EGR valve and that other hose.
It's what I did when I deleted the PAIR. No block off needed in this case.
Can't say that I fully understand how it works, but after doing so the EGR pipe no longer gets "hot".
Corrections incoming for a better understanding. lol

I made block off plates for the intake and block and reused the gaskets from the pipe. I didn't have to take off the intake and don't remember it being all that difficult. I thought I installed the block plate through the wheel well.

I made a block off plate for where the EGR used to sit

8F82D9FC-97EF-4485-959B-7EFF731BDCB7.jpeg

Then I modified an old Volkswagen drain plug…..
04B44838-4993-407D-ADF3-18D8E545E689.jpeg

1E18FD8C-AA23-4C56-B77C-2C37CCA8E620.jpeg

And used the plug to block off the pipe….
0EA08461-C937-4A31-9C19-5D8A3321BC6A.jpeg

I figured that as no gas is flowing the transfer of heat will be much lower 🤔
It has passed emissions testing after this mod.

Its a blind area, you can see it when contorting oneself through the wheel well, but you can't see it when your arm is in there. I did it by feel.
To make the block off plate, I traced the flange out on a piece of 1/8" steel and and cut it out with a hacksaw. The holes were marked with a transfer punch. Used the original gasket to seal the block off plate.

I jacked up the body and set the frame on a jack stand. Then pulled the wheel and let the axel down with the hydraulic jack. Really opens up the area.

I have seen it done by welding up the EGR passage from the #6exhaust manifold. Carefully grind it down smooth, and massage a spread #1-3 exhaust gasket to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom