EFI Issues FJ62 - Stranded in Utah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to drive from Southern Utah to Salt Lake City today for work and decided to take the FJ62.

It was around 100 degrees today, AC blasting, engine pretty hot, lots of shifting to 3rd because of wind and hills.

2 hours in all of a sudden the engine shut off. I pulled to the side, checked the fuses under the hood that are now in a Blue Sea box with regular fuses and the EFI fuse had blown.

Since I've been doing a lot of work on the car recently, I had all my tools and spares, fuses with me.
I replaced the fuse, tried to start, then the EFI fuse in the fuse box inside the car blew....
I upped it 25Amps, it started and I rushed to SLC because I didn't want to be late my meeting.

On the way back the same thing happened. 2 hours in, car died, even a 30amp fuse kept blowing.
I spend 2 hours by the side of the road going over the wire harness wearing a suit...

I then hard connected everything with no fuses and after much cranking, she started back up and I made It back home, with the car running rough.

What stood out is that every 3 seconds or so, when idling, something seems to short... and the RPM would take a hit. A pretty severe dip to around 300, then back to 700.

I'm planning on going over the whole harness, but is there an area I should start looking at? Is there a known weak spot like with the 80 series?

With the recurring dip in RPM, could it be a wire going to an injector? the EFI itself?

Can the EFI relay cause the fuses to keep blowing?

Thanks guys.

I had to drive from Southern Utah to Salt Lake City today for work and decided to take the FJ62.

It was around 100 degrees today, AC blasting, engine pretty hot, lots of shifting to 3rd because of wind and hills.

2 hours in all of a sudden the engine shut off. I pulled to the side, checked the fuses under the hood that are now in a Blue Sea box with regular fuses and the EFI fuse had blown.

Since I've been doing a lot of work on the car recently, I had all my tools and spares, fuses with me.
I replaced the fuse, tried to start, then the EFI fuse in the fuse box inside the car blew....
I upped it 25Amps, it started and I rushed to SLC because I didn't want to be late my meeting.

On the way back the same thing happened. 2 hours in, car died, even a 30amp fuse kept blowing.
I spend 2 hours by the side of the road going over the wire harness wearing a suit...

I then hard connected everything with no fuses and after much cranking, she started back up and I made It back home, with the car running rough.

What stood out is that every 3 seconds or so, when idling, something seems to short... and the RPM would take a hit. A pretty severe dip to around 300, then back to 700.

I'm planning on going over the whole harness, but is there an area I should start looking at? Is there a known weak spot like with the 80 series?

With the recurring dip in RPM, could it be a wire going to an injector? the EFI itself?

Can the EFI relay cause the fuses to keep blowing?

Thanks guys.

since your in SALT LAKE CITY

i would have it Towed to Cruiser Outfitters / @cruiseroutfit Kurts Shop is STAND UP and can help you

this is your best plan !

^^^

Not an option…he’s back home not still in SLC.

Considering you bypassed the fuse with larger fuses, and then hard wired to get home, you more than likely have a larger issue than you started with. Think melted/burned wires. Pull the engine harness apart.

EFI fuses (or any fuse) blowing repeatedly are more often than not caused by a short, think a wire rubbed through and is sending power to ground (metal) somewhere. The fact that it's intermittent seems to support that idea.

@AJR is pretty good with 3FEs. So is @jonheld

Thanks @ToyotaMatt
The headlamp they send with my last order actually came in handy yesterday.

Thanks @GLTHFJ60
I'm uncovering some unpretty things already on the O2 wires, however, this was all wrapped up in tape pretty tight, not exposed.
Could potentially the wires that go to the transfer case cause the EFI fuse to blow?

FJ62.jpeg

Looks like a good candidate for one of my restored 3FE harnesses :oops:
Maybe @Vasopressor will sell one that made him for a spare?

Was it the EFI fuse or the EFI main relay?

Start tracing it out:

It was the EFI fuse that kept blowing, under the hood as well as inside the car in the fuse box.

Thanks for that @cruisermatt I'd love to take you up on that! On the very short term, I have a solo camping trip planned next week... so I need to get some quick fix figured out.

I just found below, which are the wires going to the transfer case sensors and the bare wires were in touch with the transfercase for sure.

Could that have tripped the EFI though? There isn't permanent + power going through those wires right?

fj622.jpeg

Black with white is usually ground, but the circuits are ground switched, meaning it was activating whatever that circuit was.

Trace out which connector that is in the ewd to see if that's tied to the efi fuse circuit. I'd wager it is not, but you should fix it anyway :)

Thanks for the link to those schematics @GLTHFJ60 ! Yeah I'm fixing this up properly and sleeve / conduit it all up.
I have a 2nd EFI as well I'm gonna test out.

I'm gonna fix a bunch of things at once... So I'm probably not gonna find out what the real issue was. Just making it reliable enough for an up coming trip for now.

I'm still debating if I should take off the air intake manifold so I can check out the wires going to the injectors and thermostat housing.
While I had the cruiser running I jiggled and messed with the harness all around the engine, but it didn't create any sort of response...
Its running well now, I'll keep patching up wires, put them in conduits and tape them up.

Found it...the fuel pump wire. Thanks @GLTHFJ60 @rustybucket @cruisermatt @John McVicker

I had to drop the fuel tank a month ago, It failed smog because the fuel sending unit gasket had failed.

When I put it back together I must have forgotten to zip tie everything back in place...

Its one of those things where I'm glad it happened close to home and not on a trip. I traced all the wire harnesses that are in the engine, along the outside of the car and patched up quite a bit... Everything is in better shape now.

FJ62 Fuel.jpeg

FJ62 fuel2.jpeg

I'm still debating if I should take off the air intake manifold so I can check out the wires going to the injectors and thermostat housing.
While I had the cruiser running I jiggled and messed with the harness all around the engine, but it didn't create any sort of response...
Its running well now, I'll keep patching up wires, put them in conduits and tape them up.

if you find you need any specific electrical connectors , i am willing to donate anything in that area i have , most are OEM NOS NEW terminals too

i can overnight them today USPS EXPRESS MAIL if need be ?

i have ALL those ones hanging under the pass door , and many many engine bay ones too

color coded tracer stripe wire

like i said , if means you getting to your next destination , i will Donate what ever i can .........

no worries

matt

PM me if you need any parts help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom