EFI for 76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there is some previous posts on EFI, but I am wondering if anyone has new info on which system is best? 1976 2F.

2F794621-7306-407D-AF4B-0747E931B243.jpeg

C9CD9171-6574-4CA5-94CA-BD283608DADE.jpeg

Everybody seems to be infatuated with the new kid on the block (FiTech or Holley Sniper), but considering everything I know about EFI conversions I'm afraid I still lean towards the GM TBI System- - -they have more information "input" features, learn on their own, and have limp home feature should electronics fail- - -plus the Downey "high rise" adapter produces even better performance by dramatically increasing the size of the plenum chamber.

Everybody seems to be infatuated with the new kid on the block (FiTech or Holley Sniper), but considering everything I know about EFI conversions I'm afraid I still lean towards the GM TBI System- - -they have more information "input" features, learn on their own, and have limp home feature should electronics fail- - -plus the Downey "high rise" adapter produces even better performance by dramatically increasing the size of the plenum chamber.
Thank you, is that the same as the Affordable Fuel Injection system.

If you have some time to wait for the R&D, Justin down at RedLine is developing an EFI system that will be a serious contender.

devo
Thanks but I think I would like to get it started within the next couple weeks.

Do you have a link and cost on the high rise adapter?

Thank you, is that the same as the Affordable Fuel Injection system.

No. The AFI kit uses well established GM style components with a stand alone wiring harness and computer. It's a tried and true solution. I will be installing one myself.

I installed the AFI kit on my 76 2 years ago and it has worked great. I opted for the new dizzy with ECU control to handle timing. Made a huge difference with the truck. That upgrade is one of the best things I have done to my cruisers. Right up there with the H55 swap in my FJ62. Those upgrades really transformed the trucks.

Another vote for AFI TBI. Really woke up my '78 2F and it starts/runs reliably on hot and cold days. Fuel mileage took a slight hit, but that is due to increased performance (or so I imagine). Others report the same or better mileage. I used AFI's modified FJ62 distributor (one of their dizzy upgrades) and I think that's a good idea. I fiddled with the idle speed and timing and ultimately put everything back to the AFI-delivered configuration settings, and it runs best there.

Fires83, you might take a look at ebay #253358076655 and #254171704410, but keep in mind Mud guys do not buy from me on ebay, I merely send a PayPal invoice.

You guys are supper helpful. Two more questions one I have a great HEI distributor already I really don't want to buy another one for 550.00. Any performance issues you know of if I keep the one I already have? 2nd question the throttle cable and pedal will have to reconfigured any ideas on what to replace those with? If you want pics I can post them later.

If you go with AFI, call them to discuss your options. You may be able to have your dist modified. As for throttle cable, AFI may have that solution also.

Two more questions one I have a great HEI distributor already I really don't want to buy another one for 550.00. Any performance issues you know of if I keep the one I already have? 2nd question the throttle cable and pedal will have to reconfigured any ideas on what to replace those with? If you want pics I can post them later.

If your distributor is from Performance Distributors, they make the ones for AFI, you can send it directly to them and they can modify it for computer controlled timing.

I used Downey's adapter when I installed my home brew AFI kit. You can read about it in this thread which also has pictures of the throttle cable I adapted.

I not only have the bitchin adapters, but I have the bitchin throttle cable kits as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom