Eek my original white non-clearcoated 80 keeps trying to turn green due to all the wet weather ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best way to try and keep the 'greenness' at bay with a 30+ yr old 80 series in original factory white which doesn't have clearcoat? I'd normally use cheap supermarket cleaner which has a small portion of ammonia in it, but that has to be used by direct application wiping over the area where the 'greenness' is appearing.

Is there any other way to manage it? I don't have a shed or carport or garage to park the 80 in out of the weather. The one single-car carport that is here is too low for the 80 but is fine for a normal car to fit under.

I get my Cruiser clay barred and waxed every year. Next Friday is her appointment!
I've never thought to do that - mine being white loses paint any time it's washed, and the paint on the roof is degrading to the point most of the roof is now starting to become rust.

mine being white loses paint any time it's washed

Sounds like it's a few years beyond help from a clay bar and wax.

You could lightly colour sand with 1200 wet and dry to remove chalky layer, then wax regularly. But it'll remove more paint, and your paint might be part saving

The bonnet of my white 105series ended up like this. Nothing but a repaint was going to fix it. The rest of the car was ok.

I'll add though, the good thing about having the matt white is no clear coat to worry about. Makes it easy to paint yourself. We bought a 1993 Hilux with the same finish new from the dealer. It actually came with a small tin of touch up paint.

Photos would help to assess more, but I'd suggest you need to sand back the surface to get down to a stable layer, bare metal if you have to, then using a cheap spray gun (I got one from the Aldi specials section), and some decent automotive paint, spray on a primer, then paint. Don't be tempted by the rattle cans, they're rubbish. Make sure you mask well. You can do a section at a time, don't need to do it all at once.

True I just need the $$$. There is a local body shop that's highly recommended so once I have funds I'll talk to them. In the meantime I just try to keep the rusting at bay as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom