Educate me on coolant leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

So I came out of Home Depot and noticed a puddle, probably about twice the size of what one would see from running the AC, but it was on the driver side. I noticed the same thing about a month back, but thought it was trapped water as it had been raining the day before. It appeared to be coming from just above the fuel filter. A little searching on mud led me to believe it is the coolant line that goes to the throttle body. I have driven the truck at least 6 times since then, but no more coolant leak and the system is not over heating.

What gives?

A afternoon of fun changing you're PHH now awaits you.

Antifreeze is what, 12-13 bucks a gallon ? This is the time to shoot the parts cannon at it and replace the PHH and all the little nagging hoses on the engine. You'll be in well under 200 bucks total and you won't have to worry about it for another 20 years. Have you priced what replacing a cracked cylinder head costs ? Preventative maintenance is way cheaper than paying for engine damage.

I thought it might be the pho, but I just replaced that less than a year ago. Also, why the sporadic leaking, any ideas?

I thought it might be the pho, but I just replaced that less than a year ago. Also, why the sporadic leaking, any ideas?
Variation in the temperatures influencing the material properties of the hose and pressure of the coolant

But, that doesn’t matter. Change the hoses.

As mentioned already, it may be coming from above the phh.

Why is it noticed sporadically?
What MoJ said. Its science man. Nobody can understand that stuff

Antifreeze is what, 12-13 bucks a gallon ? This is the time to shoot the parts cannon at it and replace the PHH and all the little nagging hoses on the engine. You'll be in well under 200 bucks total and you won't have to worry about it for another 20 years. Have you priced what replacing a cracked cylinder head costs ? Preventative maintenance is way cheaper than paying for engine damage.
“Parts cannon”. Too true.

:lol:

Not the same vehicle/engine but I had a coolant loss problem a short while ago with my '04 Duramax diesel. I could drive for a week or two with no coolant loss then at times I couldn't drive 100 miles without losing coolant. I never could locate any leaks or coolant that had leaked out. While up at my good friend @Trollhole in SC we did a leak-down pressure test and no leak was detected. Radiator cap tested good and was even replaced with same cycle of problems still occurring. Finally, a friend recommend a product made by Blue Devil called stop leak or something like that. Cost me over $70 for a quart. Specific instructions with the product involving flushing and running engine for 50 minutes after adding product.then flush and add coolant. It has been 2 months and seems to be working.

This is the product I used:

IMG_0024.JPG

I am guessing it is the TB hose that I think is worse than the PHH. I would guess the intermittant leak is becuase that hose isn't under pressure. I hope you have small hands or know someone who does.

Found it. Is this the TB hose y'all were talking about that curves up right near the rear of the fuel filter? If so, then no doubt about small hands...maybe remove the upper intake manifold?

969551431.png

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190829174907847_COVER.jpg

Remove the throttle body. No need to remove the manifold. Follow the FSM. It’s not that hard at all. Order a TB gasket. It can be reused but the FSM instructs to replace. I always have. Probably not necessary. Count throttle cable threads and take a good pic for reinstall. While removed thoroughly clean the TB with TB cleaner. Pay particular attention to the three small ports upstream of the throttle plate. There’s also another method where you leave the cables attached and put a bucket under the TB to catch the fluid. It’s really not tough to just remove it and give it a real cleaning. I find this hose easier than the PHH. It would be entirely more frustrating if you try to do it without removing the TB.

Anyone have the part number for that hose? Need to add this to my PM list.
Or search “PHH neighbor”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom