educate me - lots of questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailaddict.com
Finally found a rig locally that I can actually look at. It sounds like it's a bit more of a project rig that I was hoping for, but it sounds like it's got all things I wanted - just needs a good tune up, some minor work, and some TLC. Here is the description I was e-mailed:

------------------------
it's a 74 but mostly 78, it has a SBC 327/edelbrock,intake,carb and cam, snorkel, 8 pt cage tied into the frame , pre-runners front and back, radiator hoop/engine cage, rears move out 3", shackle reversal, over sprung w/3" springs, Arizona drivelines high angle long travel drive shaft (paid $400 last year), pwr steering, new 33" swampers, body is good no rot but needs paint it has a rattle can camo paint job now. motor is strong starts right up but oil pressure drops off when hot could use bearing i think. windshield has a crack, the throw out bearing squeals other then that it is in good shape and looks good w/ a little TLC i would make a great trail rig. it comes w/ extra rears, transmissions/transfercases , doors, springs, driveshafts, lots of parts.
I'd like to get $2000 for it the way it sits.
-------------------------

so, here are my questions:
- what are pre-runners? the only pre-runner I've ever heard of is a front brush/light bar thing that 2wd rigs use.
- any idea what is meant by "rears move out 3""?
- suspension mods are SR and over sprung with 3" springs. From what I've read, I thought a soa conversion generally netted between 5" and 7" with stock springs and could clear 35s and sometimes 37s. Am I missing something here?
- I've read that when doing an SOA conversion, going with a high-steer setup is recommended. Is that what "drivelines high angle long travel drive shaft" is?
- What do you make of the oil pressure drop? That's got me concerned.
- What is a throw out bearing?

Those are my questions... any questions I should be asking based on the description?

I know it's a lot of questions - I appreciate the answers. I'm trying to learn, but you all are the closest FJ40 experts, so the learning is a slow process. If I can learn a bit more about the vehicle and get some questions answered, I'm hoping to look at the rig this weekend or next. I'll take lots of pics and probably check in with you all again.

Thanks again.

so, here are my questions:
- what are pre-runners? the only pre-runner I've ever heard of is a front brush/light bar thing that 2wd rigs use.
Answer: That's it.

- any idea what is meant by "rears move out 3""?
Answer: Rear spring hangars moved rearward 3", giving 3" longer wheelbase.

- suspension mods are SR and over sprung with 3" springs. From what I've read, I thought a soa conversion generally netted between 5" and 7" with stock springs and could clear 35s and sometimes 37s. Am I missing something here?
Answer: SOA with shackle reversal and 3" lift springs.

- I've read that when doing an SOA conversion, going with a high-steer setup is recommended. Is that what "drivelines high angle long travel drive shaft" is?
Answer: No. Longer driveshafts, and possibly CV joint at upper end.

- What do you make of the oil pressure drop? That's got me concerned.
Answer: Worn bearings. Engine rebuild needed in the future.

- What is a throw out bearing?
Answer: When you depress the clutch pedal, a linkage pulls on a metal arm in the bellhousing. This arm has a round bearing (throwout or clutch-release bearing)on the inside end, which presses against the center of the pressure plate, thereby releasing contact between the clutch disk and the flywheel. You can then shift gears. ::)

I could be wrong, but after reading the add again, it sounds like he means that it has 3" lift springs only, not 3" springs and a spring-over. If the rig has 33" tires, it would look really goofy with a spring-over, 3" springs, and a SR!

If the rig has 33" tires, it would look really goofy with a spring-over, 3" springs, and a SR!

I thought the same thing, that's why I was confused. I'm going to e-mail him today, see if I can find out more about the rig.

Thanks for the help.

Prerunners in this case refer to the Doestch Tech Pre-Runner shocks - their mid-line shock, stiffer than the DT3000 and the Pre-Runner includes a built-in shaft bump stop.

And not Spring Over but 3" lift springs still SUA.

oil pressure in a Chevy is overrated :D

new throwout bearing requires pulling the tranny-transfer and you may as well do a clutch while yer in there, too much work otherwise.

I considered this rig when I was looking, but got scared with all the odds and ends. It IS sprung over, and by prerunners, he means the bumpers he has.

tire_cutting_and_jeep_7-29-02_006.jpg

Check out the z-link
Picture_31.JPG

Picture_15.JPG

all in all, it's probably worth the money, but its gonna take some work to make it good.

Ah, very cool - someone that has seen it.  Care to elaborate on "odds and ends"?  And what is a z-link?  After an engine, transmission, and t-case rebuild/swap, would the rig need much to be a solid, reliable driver?

BTW... where are you located? Since you looked at the rig, are you fairly local?

z-link from the photo = NASTY steering (note the custom gusseted drag link...yikes!)

I'm in MD. I didn't look at it in person, but a friend did. I just didn't want to mess with someone elses spoa, never know if it was done right.

The "z-link" is the steering linkage that has material welded in for strength. Some might call booty-fab on that.

Still, the price is right.

I looked at it back in October. If your making a rock crawler or mud racing rig (what it has been doing) it got alot of good stuff in there. It didn't fit my needs, as I wanted to get something good, fairly stock, and fairly original to start with. He has a lot of good spares to with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom