EDIC Repair or Replace (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone help with some help on an EDIC? (These are questions about a Canadian spec. rig being serviced at a diesel shop in the US.)

The place I took my rig opened up the EDIC and said that there are 3 relays inside the EDIC. One is the Start, one the Run and one for the power for the whole unit. The Start and Run relays are of the same type. The Run relay is bad.

Does anyone here know:
-Can these relays be replaced? Is there a source for them? How much?
-Should I just switch the Start and Run relays? (Tech said he could do this with no long-term harm just difficulty with cold starts--not a huge problem in Portland).
-Should I just replace the entire EDIC unit and be done with it? If so, what are good sources for one on a 3B?

thanks oh infinitely knowledgeable MUD!

Ok...I am not following...

Are they talking about the EDIC motor on the engine block, or the Fuel control Relay that is inside the cab, which controls the EDIC.

Fuel control relays can be had from Toyota...over $400.00 cdn though once said and done.

EDIC's are pretty incredible in price, and should rather be rebuilt.

Find someone with a Cdn parts rig BJ60 from 1980-85 or a 1985 BJ70, and see if they want to part with what you need.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
I'm talking about the fuel control relay(s). That unit has 3 relays inside I'm told. One of those inside is bad--can that one be replaced or does the entire unit need to be replace?

Greg, it sounds like to replace the entire unit is the usual way to go. Where can I get one in Canada? $400 cdn is a heck of a lot better than the price I was quoted from the shop that's working on it.

Thanks,
Paul

rubycakes said:
I'm talking about the fuel control relay(s). That unit has 3 relays inside I'm told. One of those inside is bad--can that one be replaced or does the entire unit need to be replace?

Greg, it sounds like to replace the entire unit is the usual way to go. Where can I get one in Canada? $400 cdn is a heck of a lot better than the price I was quoted from the shop that's working on it.

Thanks, Paul

Sorry to sound dense...simply need to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Part # 28590-56090?

Anyone on the list, or if you have a connection that gives you good pricing at a Toyota dealer. I am sure there are some people here that have used ones sitting on trucks they might part with.

hth's

gb

You're not the one that's dense gb. I'm the one who doesn't have much of a clue about my own rig. I honestly don't know the part number. It's at a shop and I'm just relating the info that the tech. told me about the problem.

Is the fuel relay unit (I was refering to this as the EDIC, is this incorrect?) difficult to replace? I'd like to do it myself and save a few bucks if I could.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, the EDIC is the small electric motor mounted on the engine block. The fuel control relay is the "computer" mounted behind the kick panel that receives signals from various places and controls the EDIC.
You need to be specific if it is the engine mounted motor (EDIC) or the kick panel mounted controller.

btw Both are easily replaced on your own.

Cruiser-Guy,

I mean the computer mounted on the kick panel. Thanks for staightening me out on this!

Paul

ps. Anyone here got one they'll sell me (cheap?)?

ok, as I have not screwed with this system, this is just an idea.

napa has relays for like 30 bucks, have your tech solder wires into the "box" and route them outside to hook up to a relay externally. just need to know how many poles or throws you need in a relay.

or just spend 400 bucks and get it installed.

brownbear said:
ok, as I have not screwed with this system, this is just an idea.

The Fuel Control Relay cycles the EDIC motor to the overinject to start position, then to run the run position, then of course to the fuel off position to stop the engine. It also is the low oil pressure shutdown system for the engine. I think it would be quite complicated to replicate this system.

People have removed the EDIC and or Fuel Control Relay from the system when it has started acting up, as it can be a bear to figure out what part of the system is acting up of you do not have spares to put in place to eliminate. By removing the system, and going to a manual control (push to stop lever through the firewall) you have taken away the low oil pressure feature. I know people where this feature has saved possible engine damage, so I don't like eliminating the EDIC system.

Not to second guess the shop where this work is being done, and not knowing the history and what happened, there seems to be a set process of elimination that people have gone through to work around the problem.

1st is to have the factory engine manual. There is not a lot of Fuel Control Relay (also called the EDIC Relay) that I have found, but at least it walks through some tests for the EDIC motor.

A number of people have posted that they have fixed wonky systems (EDIC cycling on and off) by making sure all their ground were good (engine to frame, battery to frame, body to frame).

After that it is procss of elimination if it is the EDIC motor, or the relay.

bb, recommended retail from Toyota is $514.75 Cdn. Even with a discount, ain't gonna be cheap once shipping and the border gets involved. Wonder if C-dan can get it.

rubycakes, if it can be eliminated down to the relay, try a Toyota dealer and see if they can get it, or contact C-Dan and see what he can do with that part number.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
Paul, is yours a 12V or a 24V vehicle?

I have one for a 12V if you should need one.

Dave

beanz2 said:
Paul, is yours a 12V or a 24V vehicle?

I have one for a 12V if you should need one.

Dave

If this is for the vehicle in Pauls sign line, it should be 12V. At least that is the part number I posted.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom