ECT 2nd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone explain where this function has been absolutely essential? I can't envision a situation where this would be necessary. The L.C. seems so sure-footed. I'm looking for real world examples where people have had to start in 2nd gear, or... what happened??

Can anyone explain where this function has been absolutely essential? I can't envision a situation where this would be necessary. The L.C. seems so sure-footed. I'm looking for real world examples where people have had to start in 2nd gear, or... what happened??
I'm under the impression that it's designed for snowy/icy conditions. I have never used it, but that's what I think it's for? I know that in manual transmission vehicles that I've driven in slick conditions, driving it a higher than normal gear yields lower torque and helps to get started or get up steeper hills, since the tires are less likely to break free. I think that's the same theory here. Trying to not overcome the starting friction and changing to the lower sliding friction by exerting less torque and therefore force. At least that's my uneducated understanding of the physics.

2nd gear = lower torque, higher wheel speed than 1st, at the same engine speed. Short of a truly slippery situation (bald all season tires, steep grade uphill, sheet ice etc), a light throttle foot will probably do the trick...

That said, I use the ‘2nd’ switch all the time coming from a manual trans... I toggle it on/off when I know I want the car stay in 2nd gear (and that having the car jump between 1st and 2nd and back would be unnecessary and/or unhelpful). For example: low speed traffic, overnight cold starts/driving, yield merges, etc.

I do quite a bit of driving in slick conditions and have never found a need for the 2nd feature.

I have heard some like it for sand.

I use it all the time when creeping in stop and go slow traffic. The shift from 1 to 2 gets old.

In low range. I use it all the time to keep the trans from shifting down to and up from first which becomes super low when in L4
Yup, great for beach driving with my kids sitting on the tailgate. Prevents jerking between 1st & 2nd while in low range. And if I keep my shifter in 2 there’s no shifting at all.

In low range. I use it all the time to keep the trans from shifting down to and up from first which becomes super low when in L4
Ah! This answer really makes sense. First gear in L4 makes the 100 series into a bucking, stump pulling tractor. I'll have to try 2nd. Don't see much sand except Michigan dunes in my part of the world, but will keep this is mind. Thanks!

Ah! This answer really makes sense. First gear in L4 makes the 100 series into a bucking, stump pulling tractor. I'll have to try 2nd. Don't see much sand except Michigan dunes in my part of the world, but will keep this is mind. Thanks!

I didn't see a real purpose for it either, until I used it with 4L engaged. (I was thoroughly impressed with the result!)

Yep, next time your off-roading in low range try putting your selector to 2nd then pressing the 2nd button. You will be locked in 2nd gear low which is about the ideal mixture of speed and power. The only time I take it out on trail is when I'm crawling up or over something that I feel I need to go extra slow on.

Had no idea what I'd use it for but after reading above gave it a test drive in the dunes past two days. It was so annoying in 4L bucking from 1st-2nd that I avoided it. But 2nd start, 4L, and mostly stayed in second gear is just right, add CDL and get rid of the VSC and it is the way to go in the dunes. All the torque! I can't believe I've had the LC for 3 years and never figured this out.

We just got about 4 inches of snow overnight. Streets covered and matted down in white. I found starting in first that I'd get wheel spin on this terrain when accelerating from a stop (Michigan left turns, turning on to highway, out of intersections). The ECT 2nd seems to have completely solved this issue--obviously it accelerates a bit slower but that is in everyones interest under these conditions.

I use 2nd start a lot.

4low, 1stgear - Really steep incline / low traction OR decline if snowy / icy. If rocky / steep decline I tend to just ride brake so doesn't matter that it's in 1st.
4low , 2nd start - Getting up and going in the snow where first gear has too much power OR if you want to avoid the rough 1-2 shift when cruising on trails that require low range. Even for steep hills that may not require the extra traction but require the extra torque to get this heavy girl up the hill.

Last edited:
I use 2nd start a lot.

4low, 1stgear - Really steep incline / low traction OR decline if snowy / icy. If rocky / steep decline I tend to just ride brake so doesn't matter that it's in 1st.
4low , 2nd start - Getting up and going in the snow where first gear has too much power OR if you want to avoid the rough 1-2 shift when cruising on trails that require low range. Even for steep hills that may not require the extra traction but require the extra torque to get this heavy girl up the hill.

@Mike NXP at what snow depth are you going into 4LO, or is this on trail that you are using it?

@Mike NXP at what snow depth are you going into 4LO, or is this on trail that you are using it?

Really only for descending down hard pack / slippery hills where applying the brake would cause me to slip and slide ( mostly on trail, never needed on normal roads ) Studded snow tires help a lot.

I run a stock ride height and tire size and found that any snow depth up to my frame can be conquered in 4Hi with minimal effort. Once I start pushing snow it's time to turn back because it's ready to get stuck and I go out solo.

Once the cruiser is stuck I try 4 low 1st to try and creep out, sometimes 2nd start, but in all my times getting stuck in snow the only sure fire solution is grab the shovels and start digging.

We just got about 4 inches of snow overnight. Streets covered and matted down in white. I found starting in first that I'd get wheel spin on this terrain when accelerating from a stop (Michigan left turns, turning on to highway, out of intersections). The ECT 2nd seems to have completely solved this issue--obviously it accelerates a bit slower but that is in everyones interest under these conditions.
In my 100 series, I've never had this problem with Michelins; however, my 200 series I've had the same experience with the Dunlops. Personally, I think the tires make the biggest difference unless you are just a "pedal down" driver, which I suspect that you are not. Living in high snow country (Marquette, MI), you would be a great test case to outfit the Heritage with all-winter tires and report back to us in the spring with the comparison between stock tires (Dunlops?) and pure snow tires. I suspect that you could pull out snow plows with all-winter tires!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom