Economic stimulus money - how to spend $600? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my economic stimulus money deposited into my account from the IRS. I figure it is my duty as an American to spend it and it just so happens I have a money pit called an FJ62!

As it sits now, the cruiser is pretty much stock with a recently rebuilt engine, no mechanical or electrical problems, interior in good shape, original suspension is a bit saggy, front end hasn't been rebuilt but is fairly tight, 226000 miles on the clock and is my daily driver.

$600 bones could get me a few things on my wish list.
-A set of bilsteins (~$500)
-IPOR seats (~$700)
-tint the windows for the hot Houston summers (??)
-tie rod end kit, knuckle rebuild kit and tools (~$400)
-H4 headlight setup ~($400?)
-save it towards a set of 2.5" lift springs, shackles, pins, & ubolts

Now all I have to do is decide. Any suggestions? :popcorn:

my tint 7 yrs ago was around $200, if that helps.

I'd go w/suspension, myself. That's what's next for at least 1 of my rigs.

I would buy six (6) shares of Chevron stock. It is trading at about $97.00/share now. You will get a healthy dividend check and some good equity growh.

Dynosoar:zilla:

X2
Fix what needs attention now then go to the fun stuff like a lift and bigger tires.

and heavy duty drivelines?

jk.

buy the goddies first. then expalin to the wife you need to buy the tie rods and rebuild kit for safety reasons.

Bilsteins are ~$70 ea, so ~$300 shipped to your door.
OEM "Mr T" shocks are ~$30 ea. Great value.
Assuming everything else is up to snuff...
OEM shocks - $120.
Tinting...$200? Cheaper if DIY.
TRE's/knuckle kit - $400. Borrow the tools to lower the cost.

$600 would buy less than 1,700 miles worth of my locally over priced fuel - less as the price continues to climb. That's depressing to say! Wish I hadn't done that math....:doh:

Otherewise I'm with Joe Egolf... Tie-rods, knuckles, and tint.

Butt

$600 would buy less than 1,700 miles worth of my locally over priced fuel - less as the price continues to climb. That's depressing to say! Wish I hadn't done that math....:doh:

WOW.....that is depressing. But if you went downhill for 1,700 miles straight, it would be be like $12.86. :bang:

no electrical problems . . . . original suspension is a bit saggy, front end hasn't been rebuilt but is fairly tight, 226000 miles on the clock and is my daily driver.
-A set of bilsteins (~$500)

-tint the windows for the hot Houston summers (??)

-H4 headlight setup ~($400?)

-save it towards a set of shackles, pins, & ubolts

Any suggestions? :popcorn:

Well our 2 88 FJ62s (178K & 134K) here in KS ought to be in similar shape to yours. Here's what I've found to be bang for $ in 18 yrs of ownership:

Toyota shocks - have run Bilsteins but soon took them off & replaced with OMEs. Other FJ62 has Mr. T's. Does he guarantee if installed at dealership?

Urethane bushings & Terrain Tamer shackles w/greasable pins (labor was $$$, maybe DIY for you) BIG IMPROVEMENT with stock springs; will have to be done some day if you go w/lift.

One 62 has tint, other doesn't. AC seems to cope without. Your call.

European E-code headlights are biggest improvement / $ IF you drive at night.

No electrical problems? Windows? Door locks? I'm envious. A used master switch cost me $90.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I think I'll get the tint regardless, but am a bit torn between rebuilding the front end vs IPOR seats.

$600 would buy less than 1,700 miles worth of my locally over priced fuel - less as the price continues to climb.

OK, you killed my buzz

Toyota shocks - have run Bilsteins but soon took them off & replaced with OMEs.

What was the issue... too stiff?

if your axle is leaking badly then you better rebuild the front axle. Might get away with just new seals and a repack. If nothing else you will get more familiar with your truck. Do that and tint if you want and save the rest.

Let us know what you do.

We weren't eligible for a stimulus check which I think is fawkin' BS. :mad:

No electrical problems? Windows? Door locks? I'm envious. A used master switch cost me $90.

What was wrong with your master switch? on mine i couldn't roll up the front passenger window. I opened up the master switch and I thought I made a huge mistake. I cleaned up the contacts and slapped it back together. It took 2 tries, but everything worked afterwards.

ad20k,

Thank you for your coming contribution to the economy. Your patriotism is noted by big brother and also very touching. We Ih8mud forum participants are ready to join your example when our checks hit our accounts.

Given the intention of your contribution, I think that any purchase you decide upon should be satisfactory, as long as the purchase is made with a US company doing business in the US. To do otherwise is frowned upon by our benevolant big brother and will not have the same economic impact. Big brother will accept your donation to the reduction of foreign trade deficit, but given the status of the economy, DIRECT and IMMEDIATE economic stimulation is strongly advised.

Thank you for your patriotism. You are a true shining example of citizenship within the state,

Rick

Bought JAP toilets (Toto) w/ours

What was the issue... too stiff?

Yes, Bilsteins were too stiff. Have since put the rears on a 21 foot 4WD Toyota RV & the fronts on our FJ62 w/ARB. They were OK for those rigs.

What was wrong with your master switch? on mine i couldn't roll up the front passenger window. I opened up the master switch and I thought I made a huge mistake. I cleaned up the contacts and slapped it back together. It took 2 tries, but everything worked afterwards.

I tried cleaning the pitted contacts. Not sure if I ever got it back together correctly. Little wonder Uncle T wants an arm & a leg for a new one.

how bout a 5 speed for the 62? :)

Excuse me, but what are IPOR seats???

Is that a liquid seat covering material? Or an inexpensive seating system for the economically challenged?

If IPOR has to do with ride comfort, well! I'd go with comfort over practicality any day!

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom