EBC Greenstuff vs. Hawk LTS pads? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working on my brake system in my '91 trying to get the most out of it. So far I have eliminated my LSPV, replaced the master cylinder with a new one, replaced both rear wheel cylinders with new units, rebuilt/lubed the parking brake bell cranks, replaced all drum hardware with new parts, rebuilt both front calipers (already upgraded to later model larger calipers and rotors), and switched to vented and slotted Powerstop rotors. I had the Powerstop Evolution pads on it and didn't care much for them. Looking to upgrade and thinking of trying the EBC Greenstuff or Hawk LTS pads. I'm hoping to hear from people who have tried both about which they liked better. I don't care about brake dust, just brake performance. My rig is pretty light and I am currently on 33s but going to bump up to 35s when they wear out. Any input is appreciated.

I used EBC Greenstuff pads on the front ('97 LX450) for 2 or 3 sets.
They were just OK - there was always dust, and the discs definitely did erode at a steady rate, giving moderate grooving and an eventual edge lip, as they seem to be a combination abrasive/adhesive type. Friction coefficient was OK, but not what I would call strong braking.

Had a warped disc that I put up with for several thousand miles. Wear did not resolve it.

There was a rotor/pad kit with a good price, so went with that - Powerstop Z23 Evolution pads and drilled slotted rotors. Prefer plain discs, specially for an offroad vehicle, but - oh-well. Powerstop Z23 are called "Carbon Fiber Ceramic". They have been very good so far - very satisfied, and much preferred over EBC Greenstuff pads. Braking feel is very good - good strong friction coefficient with a linear feel. Still no detectable disc erosion or edge lip at 10k miles. No noticeable dust.
Did have one Quality complaint - the squeeler length was too long for the pad thickness, and one cracked right off while I was dremmel grinding down - over hardened brittle steel.

Call Buybrakes.com. That guy knows his products.

Haven't much cared for my Powerstop Z23 pads. The backing plates (shims) separated on two of the pads and were partially eaten by the rotor.

I installed Greens over EBC OEM style rear rotors today. They replaced the Napa stuff that was on there. I got 30 - 40 thousand miles out of the Napa stuff. The brakes already feel better than what I had, but they aren't broken in yet. I will be swapping the fronts out on Sunday for EBC slotted and dimpled front rotors and yellow pads. The front rotors are warped. They are the same Napa stuff as out back. I know this isn't much help, but the stuff appears to be high quality.

I've installed two sets of EBC green pads on my 80. Love them. Consistent and strong.

I'm running the LTS pads. Before that Akebono. Before that, who knows. The Akebono's were an upgrade on whatever the PO had installed. The LTS were a bigger upgrade over the Akebono.

The LTS pads are mostly quiet. First stop at the end of the driveway is weak, but after that they are great for the rest of the day. The grab harder as they heat up. For example, slowing down on the highway for an exit ramp, steady pressure on the brake pedal results in gradually increasing stopping force. They have held up well with trailer towing on 37" tires.

Only down side is they groan offroad. Downhill on a steep rocky trail, riding the brakes, they groan the entire time down. If that bothers you, this is not your pad ;)

I have the Greenstuff pads on the front, Akebono on the rear, works great.

I fitted the Hawk’s about 5 mos ago after I did my Hydroboost conversion. I liked them initially but they were too extreme; they were either on or off, there was nothing in the middle. They grabbed hard and fast and I just could not modulate the pedal. I changed to Greenstuff’s and am I happy now. Love the pedal action although they do work better when they are warmer. I now have fantastic brakes but I know a huge part of that is the Hydroboost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom