EBAY SUCKS, here's why not to sell a car on it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fxxx that. Do you think that I want to get raped like what happens to a lot of people on CL? They come to look at the "item" and once they see how good looking you are they rape you. It really is a curse being this pretty.
A true confessional if I ever heard one...

I use ebay sometimes(good for hard to find stuff) and craigslist(better for buying and selling big stuff,whole vehicles,parts too big too ship) both are ok but you run into a @$$h0!& once in a while

when I sold my last boat on CL, the old guy that bought it drove me crazy. He was super anal about everything, he would call me a month after buying it wanting all kinds of info, I finally had to tell him to quit calling or I was gonna charge him for my time.

when I sold my last boat on CL, the old guy that bought it drove me crazy. He was super anal about everything, he would call me a month after buying it wanting all kinds of info, I finally had to tell him to quit calling or I was gonna charge him for my time.

...you run into a @$$h0!& once in a while

did you buy steve's old boat?

Fxxx that. Do you think that I want to get raped like what happens to a lot of people on CL? They come to look at the "item" and once they see how good looking you are they rape you. It really is a curse being this pretty.

Funny, this is from a local CL ad here:

Ok - here's the deal I have these for sale under these terms:* I will meet you at a local place in public* I will not invite you to my house - I don't know you & you should want to meet in a public place as well* These are all NEW & in factory wrapping - new usually means unused.* Each item will have a price next to it for the "special" people that read these ad's and then call me with questions that are in black & white here.

I had a car listed for 7 days. So I waited the length of time, had a buyer that met the price. I turned away local people who had cash in hand to honor my auction. Then, the buyer flakes out, won't answer messages, so I have to wait 8 more days to get ebay to refund the $125 listing fee, and to top it off, this a****** doesn't even get negative feedback. He's still buying with 100% positive feedback. I contact ebay again and they make it out to be my fault for not having buyer requirements. Well, damn it says 100% positive feedback obviously he's a good ebayer...... not the case. They gave him a "strike" meaning it's hidden, not shown to the public, but they noted it???? wtf? Ebay is crap, I paid a $125 for this headache. NEVER AGAIN. Here is the conversation:......

I had the exact same thing happen, but get this....

I sued the deadbeat buyer in small claims court, and won. The best argument I had was that he entered into a binding contract to buy, and that I turned away all the interested local buyers because I agreed to sell to him.

Won a judgment, and when he didn't pay, I slapped a lien on his house. He paid, all right. :D

You could do the same - an ebay auction is a legally-binding contract. It all comes down to how much energy you want to expend to collect.

As far as I'm concerned now, eBay is just a tool to advertise vehicles. I have sold five through ebay, and all but one sale have been someone who saw the listing on eBay and wanted to do a side-deal.

They changed the feedback rules last year to prevent feedback retaliation or blackmail. Lots of buyers getting beat up by sellers after the sale had been made and using the threat of negative feedback. So now sellers can either leave a positive or request their money back if the buyer doesn't pay. If the buyer makes a consistent habit of not paying, they're out. Makes sense to me and has been working well.

I understand that yeah, you want to be protected against retaliation or blackmail, however if you are a dirtbag buyer it should be known. They give a unknown amount of strikes before they are banned, which is not shown to the public. It's a bad system. It's made to keep everyone on ebay, good or bad. If they showed strike history it would be fair, but they don't.

I agree I think I've gotten some good deals in the past, but I've also gotten some s*** deals. Mostly all the bad experiencs have been lately. I ordered and iphone, saying "mint" it showed up lookint like someone dropped it in the parking lot with big chips missing out of the back, and it had the wrong usb cable in the box. I called the guy and he did give me back $30 to offset the stuff. Not to mention I had to reformat it to get it to turn on.

Bottom line is with the s*** economy people are going to do what they can to make a buck, whether it requires sticking it to you or not, and Ebay wants to make money. I'll never sell again on ebay, just not worth my time or effort.

I sued the deadbeat buyer in small claims court, and won. The best argument I had was that he entered into a binding contract to buy, and that I turned away all the interested local buyers because I agreed to sell to him.

Won a judgment, and when he didn't pay, I slapped a lien on his house. He paid, all right. :D

You could do the same - an ebay auction is a legally-binding contract. It all comes down to how much energy you want to expend to collect.

As far as I'm concerned now, eBay is just a tool to advertise vehicles. I have sold five through ebay, and all but one sale have been someone who saw the listing on eBay and wanted to do a side-deal.

AWESOME! :cheers: Glad he got what he deserved. I however work out of the country so when stuff goes sour and It's time to go back to work, I have to drop it all and wait till I am in the u.s. again. Another reason why I was so pissed off, I only had that 2 week window to sell the car, and it took that long to just deal with ebay.

Sounds all well and good but how much did the legal action cost and were you able to recover those costs as well? I've been in business for myself and often it isn't worth the hassle unless the amount owing is fairly big and you have the background knowledge on the guy.

I ordered and iphone, saying "mint" it showed up lookint like someone dropped it in the parking lot with big chips missing out of the back, and it had the wrong usb cable in the box. I called the guy and he did give me back $30 to offset the stuff. Not to mention I had to reformat it to get it to turn on.

I've been there. One of the first deals on E-bay was a lens for my film camera about8 years ago. Advertised as "mint" but arrived needing almost as much repairs as the price of the item. Got a quote from the local manufacturers repair place and sent it off to Ebay and the guy paid up. I don't know if that still happens.

I've had good luck with C.L. but my brother in law got the shaft by one guy....he called him up and said the price on a dirt bike was $1200. Brother in law shows up with the printed ad for $1200...the dude says no I said $1500. What a douche. Obviously he did not buy the bike and the seller called him a week later offering it for $1200...he said to go *&ck yourself and hung up!

Sounds all well and good but how much did the legal action cost and were you able to recover those costs as well? I've been in business for myself and often it isn't worth the hassle unless the amount owing is fairly big and you have the background knowledge on the guy.

The only cost I didn't recover was $20, which was what I paid to have the lien removal witnessed by a notary. All the other costs (about $400) were recovered.

Our small claims system actually has some teeth.

ive sold landcruiser parts on ebay for years maybey its just cruiser people but never had any problems.i dont think it matters where you buy someone will try to screw you eventually.even the fle markets have people that you dont buy from just have to be careful .

i got it all solved.

i go to this place they invented called a store, and i buy this really cool s***, thats in sealed in plastic and boxes. and when you get home and open it up, it has this really cool thing called a warranty. and if the s*** in the box breaks... YOU GET A NEW ONE!

great system. you guys ought to give it a whirl. beats ebay hands down. no waiting, no bidding, quality service... no s***, i aint lyin.

Ebay sales for autos is not a binding contract. Says Ebay. We have been through this before.

I use EBay often, have almost 1700 items of all positive feedback. I work hard to keep all buyers of my items happy- and it shows in my feedback. I have bought a lot of items on EBay, too- only items that almost can't be less than advertised, like CD's, cruiser parts, etc. While I would never sell a vehicle on EBay because there is too much potential for the buyer to just not pay, I have bought quite a few cruisers, a 4Runner, and an MR2 on EBay. all vehicles i purchased were satisfactory. I won't bid on a vehicle unless, not matter what the condition is, I can still at least break even. I've bought and sold a lot of Matco, Mac, Cornwell, and Snap-On tools on EBay over the years. I like it and enjoy it. It ain't for everyone and yes one needs to be careful.

I've used Craigslist, too, with some success. There are some scary people though on Craigslist and I think CL is more susceptible to scams than is EBay. My two cents from personal experience. Shmukster

been on ebay 14 years and its a crap shoot everytime i sell something even eliminating bad buyers .people dont pay or bid on your stuff from over seas then after the auction want to know if you will ship to them .even when it says usa only .i tried to start again but after several auctions figure its not worth it .buyers know that ebay wont do nothing to them so they take advantage of it .i actually have the best luck in the local paper with large items you deal face to face and in cash .hope things work out for ya jim

That's too bad people ruin it. I just bought my 1986 BJ74 LX off Ebay, and then flew to Missouri to pick it up! Had a nice long ride home to Greenville SC getting to know my new dirt beast. Seemed like a great deal for me and the seller was happy too...

Gulches Pipe Garden.jpg

not true, at least not anymore, all cars that are sold on ebay are non binding, google it, you don't have to purchase anything if you purchase a vehicle and win......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom