eBay Snorkel install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used a jig saw with a very fine tooth blade. The template with mine was actually pretty spot on, and had the large hole for the air inlet marked. Just tape over the paper as you go so that it stays in place.

... my air filter looked just about as bad. ...

If you want a dorkel, get one, but unless you are doing fording with water level at the windows, they are pretty much a decoration. It will slightly reduce the dust in the air filter, but that system is very well designed and will literally hold pounds of dust before becoming restricted. Most users likely clean/replace them way too often, as long as the tuna can is dumped as needed, the filter will easily go 30k mi in very dusty conditions, 50K or more in normal conditions.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/air-filter-observations.775497/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/air-filter-never-gets-dirty.364702/

What about the benefit of cool air instead of warm air. Not that I really give 2 sh!ts about that since I've put over 234k on my 92 since I bought it new. I just want one because it looks cool as sh!t man! Why else do half of the mods we do?!?! :flipoff2:

I have one sitting in my garage waiting to install...will give me a piece of mind when I drop into a puddle not knowing how deep it is :)

What about the benefit of cool air instead of warm air. Not that I really give 2 sh!ts about that since I've put over 234k on my 92 since I bought it new. I just want one because it looks cool as sh!t man! Why else do half of the mods we do?!?! :flipoff2:

1. Yes it looks cool and chicks dig it.

2. It does drop intake air temp by a lot, especially on super charged rigs.

1. Yes it looks cool and chicks dig it.

2. It does drop intake air temp by a lot, especially on super charged rigs.

1. Reason enough to do it

2. Bonus. I don't have a super charged rig but cooler intake air temp is still beneficial.

Well, I hooked up my snorkel kit today. Didn't think I would have time but looking at it, it seemed pretty basic. My $69 kit with free shipping came in a HUGE box. The construction of this unit is very robust. I couldn't ask for it to be any ssturdier. The stencil it came with was off just a hair, But I just drilled the holes a little bigger. It was difficult to get the stencil lined up. Its hard to check it with a reliable measurement and drilling that 1st hole feels like guess work. It was a pain getting the large rubber boot on and getting the washers And nuts on behind the fender well takes a good amount of patients. All and all, it took me 2hrs and everything fit as it should... And yes, chicks dig it.

They are for the birds ;)

FZJBirdfeederbyrdz.jpg

This is the style I have on my 80. Anyone know where or if I can get the more standard looking grill to replace the birds nest style end? I'm typically not one to worry too much about looks, but I really think the birds nest style is hideous.

I'll order one and trade you. I like the look of the birds nest one better than the scoop type one.

I'll order one and trade you. I like the look of the birds nest one better than the scoop type one.
I'd kind of like to hand into the birds nest in case I change my kind. Also don't know if they would be the same diameter anyway.

Any idea where I could buy just the scoop to experiment with?

I snickered and pointed fingers at snorkeled rigs for years. Crossed rivers on fordyce many times and have run many trails in spring with deep water for years with non of that snorkel 'Non sense'.

Then began traversing about 20 miles of dirt road every weekend... And checking the tuna can frequently.... Then all the forklifts at work(it's a dirt 'yard' structural steel manufacturing company) got retro fitted with snorkels... Then a new $180k lift(pic) was bought w snorkel.... Then I went on ebay...
image.jpg

I Understand the water crossing height comments and the quality of the OEM filter vs dirt remarks. Just pointing out I no longer empty my tuna can bimonthly since buying an $80 snorkel...

Last edited:
^^^^ AND it looks cool as sh!t man!!

And chicks dig it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom