SOLD Eastern NC: 1997 FZJ80 40th Anniversary Edition Triple Locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
SOLD

The time has finally come to let someone else enjoy my 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 40th Anniversary Edition (#1979) in Antique Sage Pearl. It is triple locked and has 173K miles. I have owned since 2013 and have added about 27k miles during my ownership. It has been an amazing vehicle and a fun project over the years, filling roles as my daily driver early on and a weekend adventurer more recently. I’m currently in the market for an FJ62 and need to make some room in the garage! Clean NC title in hand.

Details:
-OME 850/860 coils with OME shocks and steering stabilizer, 30 mm front spacers to level the stance, caster correction bushings
-315/75/r16 BFG KM3 tires with a little under 6K miles, installed 12/2020. I do have the spare tire and wheel, the tire appears to be original and the finish on the wheel is rough
-Pioneer head unit and door speakers
-JL W3 12” subwoofer powered by a 500 watt JL amp
-Yakima crossbars and fairing
-Husky liner front and rear floor mats, OEM carpet cargo mat
-LED lights installed in the front bumper controlled by a 3-way OTRATTW switch
-The “D” light works!
-Original leather, front seats show wear but overall in pretty good shape, rear seats and 3rd row in great shape (3rd row not installed but included with sale)
-Paint is in great shape for the age of the vehicle (it looks like some paint work was done under previous ownership but I don’t have any details), the roof and side view mirrors have faded some. There are a few spots where touch up paint has been applied around the edge of the hood and on the front bumper, these areas can be seen on the photos
-All glass is original Toyota glass except for the windshield, it was replaced under previous ownership
-Cruise control, heat/cool functions and power antenna all function properly

Maintenance (all records from my ownership included in sale):
-Regular oil changes and tire rotations
-Starter replaced
-Catalytic converter replaced (aftermarket)
-Brakes serviced and fluid flushed
-Plugs and wires replaced
-AC recharged and blows cold

The quirks:
-Window motors all work but are slow, especially when it’s cold outside. Sunroof works great and motor speed is normal.
-The worm gears in the front seats have gone out, so the seats cannot be moved forward or back easily. They are currently back about as far as they can go which is the preferred position for most in an 80. The recline and lumbar functions work fine
-Power rear door locks are temperamental, normally have to unlock twice for them to open (or unlock manually from the front)
-Rear locker light flashes when the switch is activated but does not fully engage. Front locker and center diff locker work as they should.
-Leaks some oil as is common in these vehicles, I typically add a quart or two during the year between oil changes
-If the gas tank is completely filled until you can see gas in the filler neck some will leak out over a day or so, I normally leave it a gallon or so from full when I fill up unless I’m going to drive 15-20+ miles after I leave the gas station.

The bad:
-Prior to my ownership the vehicle spent time in northern parts of the country and has some rust on the body and undercarriage. The trouble spots on the body are the rocker panels near the rear wheel wells (worse on the passenger side), the drivers side front wheel well near the charcoal canister and the rear passenger wheel well area. The middle of the rear bumper also has some rust, I have smoothed this area with metal reinforced Bondo and painted so visually it looks pretty good. These areas are documented in the photos

Overall this is a solid driver with arguably the most desirable specs for an 80 series Land Cruiser. It’s not perfect but it can be thoroughly enjoyed as is like I have done for the last decade or if the new owner has a vision to take it to the next level this is a great starting point!

69D2B7CC-334C-4DAC-ADCC-48CBA01BB668.jpeg

9DA8697A-9B9F-4E20-AC48-67083529E770.jpeg

31806249-522D-4B2B-BCD8-44F285285D05.jpeg

C6EC4F38-253F-4A12-8452-5A82498D2CC3.jpeg

111EFFFB-95AC-4438-B0C0-AAB3185AA052.jpeg

Last edited:
Many more photos available, will try not to bombard this thread since only 5 are allowed per post!

1D58D169-35D4-4A59-B50C-13301ACC3541.jpeg

755E2128-AEBB-4844-AE19-F3F47B5D100D.jpeg

C1F1DC18-3776-4881-A3F4-A0016B00AFF8.jpeg

ABF1E9F2-449F-4358-8C3F-D2F8E381FFE7.jpeg

FB0F7C0B-E946-4B95-B2A4-6E3D35EFF6BC.jpeg

build a bigger garage!!!!!!!!!!

Heading to BaT!

Heading to BaT!
Hey there, just a thought for you.....I have sold an 80 on BAT (last year) and I'm also in Eastern NC. You have an amazing truck (some would say "holy grail 80") with the most desirable specs....including 3x locked, and under 200k. But the folks on BAT are going to really complain in the comments about the rust underneath. If you haven't already submitted pics, and you have a bit of $$, I would say get the underside dry iced and repair any frame issues and then have the frame/ underside professionally sanded/ treated/ painted. I bet you will get another $5k to even $10k that way. Just my 2 cents, I look at BAT 80 auctions almost daily and underside rust is always one of the biggest topics in the comments and therefore holds down the bidding. Also, everyone will mention that the radiator is old and needs replacing so you may want to do that before the listing also. GLWTA!

Hey there, just a thought for you.....I have sold an 80 on BAT (last year) and I'm also in Eastern NC. You have an amazing truck (some would say "holy grail 80") with the most desirable specs....including 3x locked, and under 200k. But the folks on BAT are going to really complain in the comments about the rust underneath. If you haven't already submitted pics, and you have a bit of $$, I would say get the underside dry iced and repair any frame issues and then have the frame/ underside professionally sanded/ treated/ painted. I bet you will get another $5k to even $10k that way. Just my 2 cents, I look at BAT 80 auctions almost daily and underside rust is always one of the biggest topics in the comments and therefore holds down the bidding. Also, everyone will mention that the radiator is old and needs replacing so you may want to do that before the listing also. GLWTA!
Definitely agree with your comments and have given this some thought but ultimately decided to let the next owner do as they see fit - it can be enjoyed as is for years to come or have some undercarriage and body work to make it closer to perfect. Same thing with maintenance - some may just want to replace a radiator which is easy, others may want to do a more extensive overhaul.

I’ve got 2 young kids at home and busy with work so anything I do to the 80 I’m paying retail for, if someone buys it who is more mechanically inclined, has more time or owns their own shop they can do the work for a fraction of the price that I can. Just not sure the return on investment is there in my situation.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Yes it was until BaT accepted the truck for auction, had to take it down per their rules.
I am very familiar with BAT. Your presence here on MUD will help sell your truck. There are very few trolls on BAT but one or two will freak out about the rust on the running gear. If you had a dry ice blaster center near you, it might be the best $2000 you ever spent. In fact, that is the only thing I would change about your truck. I modeled my 40th anniversary after your truck in terms of tire size and lift. I too would love to add a 60 to my collection but just hate to sell anything to do it:)

I think you own the perfect FJ40 so I can't wait to see what kind of 60 you come up with.

On a side note: I think Jonathan Ward sold his TLC group to another shop in the Carolinas. You may want to see how far the TLC shop is from your home.

GLWTA !

Hey @tarheel40, I totally understand being busy with work/ family/ etc.....and I understand not wanting to put more $$ into the truck before it goes to BAT. I'm sure it will do very well there, and the right buyer can address the underneath/ rust and radiator and any other maintenance as you suggest and just figure that into their overall budget (and of course BAT brings the buyers with deep pockets). Buyers especially from the NE and Midwest will not care as much about the underneath....and of course it can all be made almost like new by the right person/ shop.

I was happy with my process and the outcome of selling my '94 LC on BAT, and I had a friend sell his '94 Toyota Pickup recently as well and it went well for him. I hope they let you set a reserve though.....my buddy had to go "no reserve" b/c BAT said they are getting so many submissions (and they want to ensure vehicles sell....)

Your 80 has a lot going for it! GLWTA.

I am very familiar with BAT. Your presence here on MUD will help sell your truck. There are very few trolls on BAT but one or two will freak out about the rust on the running gear. If you had a dry ice blaster center near you, it might be the best $2000 you ever spent. In fact, that is the only thing I would change about your truck. I modeled my 40th anniversary after your truck in terms of tire size and lift. I too would love to add a 60 to my collection but just hate to sell anything to do it:)

I think you own the perfect FJ40 so I can't wait to see what kind of 60 you come up with.

On a side note: I think Jonathan Ward sold his TLC group to another shop in the Carolinas. You may want to see how far the TLC shop is from your home.

GLWTA !
Thanks for the encouragement and kind words! My 80 has been such a great vehicle and is always a conversation starter. I planned to keep forever but including my wife’s LX570 I’ve got 4 vehicles to maintain and 4 garage spots, so I’ve got my hands full and unless I expand the shop it’s one in one out at this point haha. It’s been a good decade-long run with the 80 and I think it’s the vehicle that makes the most sense to sell - the 200 is too practical to sell and my 40 is just purely off limits, I’ve dreamed off owning a 40 like the one I have for as long as I can remember (hence my mud name!). Just hope the 80 finds a good home!

I think you’re right about TLC, believe they’re on the western half of the state but could be a good resource in the future!

Hey @tarheel40, I totally understand being busy with work/ family/ etc.....and I understand not wanting to put more $$ into the truck before it goes to BAT. I'm sure it will do very well there, and the right buyer can address the underneath/ rust and radiator and any other maintenance as you suggest and just figure that into their overall budget (and of course BAT brings the buyers with deep pockets). Buyers especially from the NE and Midwest will not care as much about the underneath....and of course it can all be made almost like new by the right person/ shop.

I was happy with my process and the outcome of selling my '94 LC on BAT, and I had a friend sell his '94 Toyota Pickup recently as well and it went well for him. I hope they let you set a reserve though.....my buddy had to go "no reserve" b/c BAT said they are getting so many submissions (and they want to ensure vehicles sell....)

Your 80 has a lot going for it! GLWTA.
Thank you! I may talk to my local mechanic about knocking out a few simple things (radiator being one item several folks have mentioned) before the auction starts but in general I think leaving it honest and “as is” for the next buyer is a reasonable approach. It may be a good option for the buyer that can’t afford a perfect unicorn 80 but still wants a nice vehicle that can be made even nicer if desired!

I was able to reach an agreement on a reserve with BaT so very pleased about that, takes the risk off the table just a bit. I hope it goes a fair amount higher than the reserve of course but as long as the reserve is met I’ll feel ok about the sale! Not sure how long the wait is right now but hopefully you’ll see it live in the next month or two!

What’s your price? This is a requirement.
Please read through the thread, vehicle has been accepted to BaT and price removed per their rules. I’ll post the link when the auction goes live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom