East Coast vs. West Coast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last month, I went to Puerto Rico for vacation. I was amazed that of the 30+ 4runners and Cherokees I saw there only 2 were 4 wheel drive. Seems that car manufacturers only shipped the 2 wheel drive models there because there's not really a need for 4 wheel drive vehicles in Puerto Rico.

This got me thinking. I live in the Northeast US. Before buying my LC, I searched for almost 2 years. On average, I would say that at least 60% or more of the LC's I looked at had lockers. From posts I have read on this site seems that it is a lot harder for those out West to find rigs with lockers.

Is it possible that Toyota shipped the Land Cruisers (and LX450s) with lockers to those areas that get the most snow and possibly have the most need for them?

Yesterday I walked through a mall parking lot and passed 2 Land Cruisers (probably driven by soccer moms). Both had lockers.

Does anyone know statistically how LC's came with lockers?

Bruiser -

Most of what you hear on this subject is observation, not fact. So - a bit of observation, then...

The subject of "how many had lockers" has come up on this board numerous times over the past year. The consensus seems to be between 8 - 12%. I have never seen/heard any discussion about the geographical distribution for rigs that had lockers, and those that did not.

When I searched out here in the west - admittedly, timed to coincide with the end of five year lease contracts - more rigs had lockers than those that did not. Most of the trucks that I checked on were lease returns on dealer's lots.

Not too factual, but an observational data point for you.

Cheers, R -

Mine has lockers and is a west coast truck. That's all the help I can be. Oh yeah, I know another guy with a west coast truck that also has lockers.

I really do hope this helps. :flipoff2:

I have been keeping track of all my leads as it makes it easier to keep track of which ones I have already called about

of the 34 leads in north GA and north Alabama on 96/97 TLC's and LX450's
5 with lockers
12 already sold or no response or otherwise unknown
17 without lockers

looking at the car fax results almost all were originally leased in northern states (NY NJ IL PA) and when returned they were sold at auction most of the time to an out of state dealer, so far I have only found one that is a native but no lockers :'(

I would imagine that the 12 "sold or unknown" would have a higher percentage of lockers than the still available, the same pattern happens over and over, beautiful trucks without lockers for a fair price and those with lockers are rolling wrecks I dont think cream puffs with lockers sit for sale very long :doh:

If i would have known about front/rear lockers, i would have waited in getting mine. But a buddy of mine bought one over the summer 97 40th Anniv w/front/rear lockers. Seems like here in Northern VA....i've seen a few on the lots after i purchased mine.. Majority of the LC's i see are moms/wives that married rich guys that use it for the mall / taking kids to games. I see about 8-10 80's/100's on a daily basis. And most are not the same ones i've seen the day before.

I'd be willing to take mine offroad, once i get the kinks out of it and preventive maintenance on it.

I live in Jacksonville, FL and my 96 doesn't have lockers, but I look at 93-97 Cruisers on Autotrader within a 300 mile radius, and it appears that quite a few of them have lockers. Most of them are in central and south FL, and sell from $7,500 to $39,000. There was about sixty (60+) trucks listed. These trucks have never seen winter, and are primarily yupee soccer mom driven. Do a search using zip code 32210, and 300 miles, and see for your self. When I bought my truck, I didn't look hard for a low mileage locker Cruiser....... wish now I had.

Wayne S :cheers:

[quote author=Wayne link=board=2;threadid=11083;start=msg100085#msg100085 date=1076031148]
Do a search using zip code 32210, and 300 miles, and see for your self. When I bought my truck, I didn't look hard for a low mileage locker Cruiser....... wish now I had.

Wayne S :cheers:
[/quote]

thanks for the tip, I have exauted this area and would not mind taking a trip there my mom in in old town good base fo oeperations for a cental FL search

I have also though of looking in TX, there are a lot there, I fly for free but that is a long drive back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom