East Coast 40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After years of reading and questioning, planning and buying, my project is finally under construction. Here is a list of what I have assembled for the build and what I plan to get my hands on very soon:

Model: FJ40
Year: 1976
Miles: N/A

Current Parts:
Aqualu tub with deck storage box and lockable storage tailgate
Aqualu front cowl and windshield
New built LT1/TH350/205
Saginaw PS
SOA Alcan front springs
Cut and turn front LC housing
4:11 ARB in front with Longfields
D60 rear narrowed with 4:10 and Detroit (35 spline)
4x4labs cross over hi-steer w/tierod and drag links (gm 1 ton ends)
Modified Metaltech cage
Autometer electric guages

Planning:
100" wb+
4 link rear w/King coilovers
Custom fuel cell
Atlas
Belly skid plate and removable paneled sliders tied to cage above
Tube steel seat frame assembly that mirrors stock seat brackets
Lots of other stuff that I am forgetting

Here are the first pics since I started assembling body parts to align the drive line.

Last edited:
More Pics

Other stuff I worked on while waiting for the engine and tranny to arrive.

Last edited:
Cool, this will be fun to watch!

What size trires are you going to run? 4.11 with a T350/205 will be really high, If you are running 38's or so, I would really consider at least getting some 4.88's. Also, any thought in a D300 to get a little more crawl ratio while you are at it?

Right now you are at 20:1 (double that for an auto)

That is pretty anemic.

4.88s alone will get you to 25:1 (50:1 with auto) and that is better with 35-37" tires

If you drop in a D300 (stock) and 4.88's you will be at 33:1.....damn nice auto ratio.

more pics, more tech, less chat....hehehehe...

looks like an awesome project, those alum tubs are suhweet!

2nd Nolens comment too...I'm about 50:1 with the auto and feel it's just right...stock 4.11 pinions too...much faster than that and you'll race up the trail....

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The gearing in this truck definately needs some help. I was planning to run 35's when this project began but I decided to run bigger tires recently. I don't know much about the Dana 300 so I will have to excercise the search function. I need to iron out the specs of this driveline soon. While I was waiting on parts, I got going on the seat frame. I had fun learning how to use my buddies bender.

Last edited:
Finally made some progress

Finally made some progress in the past week after weeks of neglect. I quit my job a few weeks ago to start my own business so time to play with the cruiser has been scarce. Anyway, here are some pics of what materialized after the sparks stopped flying this weekend. More cage pics coming soon.

Last edited:
More

Engine mounts are complete, rear frame rails are now boxed in. From everything that I have read here, triangulation in my cage is the key to really stiffening up the chassis. I have a metaltech family cage but am adding in quite a bit of additional tubing for strength. I hope to get the four link started this week and finish the cage but we will see. More to come soon.

Last edited:
Looks Great! I'll enjoy watching this one come together.

Cage Progress

Here are some pics of the tacked cage. The cross bar on the dash is going to get an A frame as well. Does this look like it has enough triangulation or should I add more? Also, I plan to make some tube fenders that will tie into the shock hoops and run back through the firewall into the cage. Does anyone have any design recommendations?

Last edited:
Yup. Mark does nice work.

Last edited:
Long overdue progress pics.....
More to follow later in the week.

Last edited:
Nice pics! Keep 'em coming!

What is the deal with that steering box? Is that staying?

awp

I am keeping that setup until it blows up. It does not appear to be a weak link but it isn't very appealing visually either.

Those welds where you boxed your frame look really good.

How much stiffness do you hope to gain from your cage? I don't think you'll have any problems if you use it like most people on this board would (ie beat it to the point a heep would die!). More is always stronger, but you have dimishing returns at some point. I'd say finish what you'v started and try to keep it under about 175mph, you should be safe.
Curious by the way, what is this shop you are working in (it's tits) and what kind of buisness have you begun? Congratulations to, as hard as you maybe working and as tough as it is getting a buisness going, you are living the american dream. I wish you success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom