Easiest option for ‘97 LX450 speaker replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

What does the consensus here say about the best option for easy, no modification replacement speakers for the LX450? I know depth is a concern and I’m not interested in having to do any modifications so just curious if there is any aftermarket speaker that is pretty much a drop in replacement?

Interesting, that link above is for 93-96 only, not 97. Something changed where the space behind the front door speakers are minimized further. They will probably work though, might need to add a little spacer or something.

@bergxu if you search for Pioneer speakers, you'll see most people install those. They are cheap. I have them in my 97 but still had to use 1/4 plywood spacers to keep them off the window runs. Most people really like them, but I can't really stand them. Tinny sound to me.

The pioneers prev stated or poll db6501 I believe are shallow enough . There are threads , but you'll have to hunt for em.

I found some pioneer speakers that dropped right into the front doors of my 97. Here’s a link to my thread post about them.

The factory rear speakers are actually much smaller, so theseont work, if you want to retain the factory grills. I just painted the grills to match it it looks almost factory enough.

66770A32-ACF0-4299-AF31-7858B94EE15A.jpeg

This pic makes it look darker than it is, but in reality, the grill is the same color as the center console.

Recently, I saw a post where a member actually found speakers that fit inside the rear door speaker housings and he was able to retain the factory grills. I’d be curious to know how they sound because they’re very small. You’ll have to search for that thread though.

I found some pioneer speakers that dropped right into the front doors of my 97. Here’s a link to my thread post about them.

The factory rear speakers are actually much smaller, so theseont work, if you want to retain the factory grills. I just painted the grills to match it it looks almost factory enough.

View attachment 1954503

This pic makes it look darker than it is, but in reality, the grill is the same color as the center console.

Recently, I saw a post where a member actually found speakers that fit inside the rear door speaker housings and he was able to retain the factory grills. I’d be curious to know how they sound because they’re very small. You’ll have to search for that thread though.

Thanks for that. So the 6.5” will go into the rear apertures but just the grilles won’t work so I’ll have to use the Pioneer ones? The opening is large enough to accommodate the speaker though?

Thanks for that. So the 6.5” will go into the rear apertures but just the grilles won’t work so I’ll have to use the Pioneer ones? The opening is large enough to accommodate the speaker though?

Yes, that is correct.

just to clarify, the 6.5's will go in both the front and rear doors? so you'd need to order 4 speakers?

thanks,

just to clarify, the 6.5's will go in both the front and rear doors? so you'd need to order 4 speakers?

thanks,

The rear factory speakers are smaller than the front speakers, and are mounted into a plastic speaker housing that must also be removed to use 6.6” speakers. However, the rear factory speaker grills clip into that plastic housing, so unless you’re willing to glue that factory grill back on, you won’t be able to reuse them. I just used the new grills that came with the speakers and painted them to match.

So yes, the 6.5 inch speakers I referenced will fit in the rear doors.

I have Polk speakers in dash and Infinity low impedance speakers in doors ( 6 1/2 inch in front doors and 4 inch in rear doors in original speaker baskets).

Kenwood KFC-1668s front doors - a bit tall but they fit. Zip-tied and RTV silicone'd hard drive rubber insulators on speaker magnets so they don't rattle against window channel. Original grills retained.
MB Quart CD-110s (the made in Germany ones) in second row. RTV silicone'd speakers to hold in place. Factory speaker grills snap in fine.
Polk Audio 4 inch in dash but don't have part number at moment (maybe marine?)
Polk in dash driver's side is tight fit but didn't want to cut or bend metal so rubber insulated speaker and it's fine.
Passenger side dash Polk speaker requires removing factory amp. Which is not a problem if using after-market head unit.

IMG_4314.PNG

IMG_4315.PNG

IMG_4317.PNG

IMG_4319.PNG

IMG_4321.PNG

I ordered a set of four of the 6.5” Pioneers referenced above but also was looking at these (for the rear doors) and I presume since they’re mounted in an aperture in the rear door that they will fit? I’d prefer to keep the 4” now that I think about it, in the rear doors.

I did the replacement just a few days ago, wanting to keep my OEM speaker grilles:

I got the 6.5" Retro speakers that Crutchfield.com lists as the only model fitting into an LX450 - they do indeed drop in, and the stock mounting screws can be reused - the speakers come with extra wires, but I found it easier to unplug the old speaker from the harness, unsolder the existing stock wires, and solder them onto the new speaker terminals - plug into the stock harness again, mount speaker, done

Public Service Announcement: if you want to retain your OEM speaker grilles, do NOT remove the speaker grills from the door card (it will break the mounting tabs) - remove the whole inner door card; you will have to do that anyway to get to the stock mounting screws to take the old speaker out - Crutchfield actually sends a play-by-play instruction manual, follow that (I can also forward it to you by e-mail, send a PM) - plastic trim removal tools help greatly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom