easiest method to remove rear bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the easiest method to remove the rear axle bearing?

I have the entiore rear torn down and I can not get the bearing out. Haynes says to cut it with a grinder? There has got be an easier way!!!

Spence

i slide hammer works well. if you have the third member out you can put a pipe through the axle tube and hammer it from the other end.

i'm a little slow.

I just used a slide hammer to do this last week. Beat the crap out of my shoulder and the bearing on one side to do it.

The manual shows an SST puller that could possibly salvage the bearing for reuse if it checked out OK.

If you are installing a new bearing(s) Just use a puller, I got a craftsman one for about 10 bucks... the longer the handle the better, I just put a little cheater bar over the handle and she poppped right out.

rezarf <><

One way is to take a MIG welder, and weld a bead around the cirumference of the pressed in portion of the bearing. It'll literally drop out when you're done.

Good Luck!

x2 on the welder.

It doesn't matter what type of welder or even if you can weld. As long as you heat the race above the critical temperature, it will shrink enough so that it will fall out when it cools. It has no effect on the housing (as long as you don't penetrate the race and fuse the race to the housing), since it is just mild steel.

Used a slide hammer to do it, w/the puller adapters that fit on the end of the slide hammer..."borrowed" them from Autobone.

Destroyed the old bearings in the process....so keep that in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom