Easer Heep Safari (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
Anyone Going to Moab for the Heep Safari?? i will be there from like thursday to Sunday.. just wondering if any IH8muders are going, i gota get a camp site and stuff so i was wondering if anyone elce wanted to camp together.. or atleast get together and run some trails..

A few of us are planning to be there from the St. George area. Not sure about our agenda though. I'll see what trails we're scheduled to do. I do know we are set for thursday and saturday and open for the rest of the week. 8)

I will be there from the 9th to the 13th.

I plan on running 4 trails.

cool, im new to moab, was there last year, but i didint have a truck then...

What do you guys suggest for trails for me to run?? I am sprung over and 35" open diffs unexperenced driver... =)

I was able to run Fins and Things in an open diff Heep on 32" MTs.
99.9% slickrock, punctuated by sand pits. Great scenery. Mildly challenging.
Can easily be made an all day run if you stop and take lots of pics.

This month's 4Wheel Drive and Sport Utility magazine has a Moab Survival
Guide. It lists about 25 trails with ratings, GPS for the trailheads and some
interesting points of each. You /should/ be able to run any 3 or 4 rated
trail. (Fins 'n' Things is rated 3, IIRC.)

Wish I was going, but the Heep has dead tags and the Cruiser needs the
radiator patched. :(

[quote author=isotel link=board=4;threadid=13465;start=msg127311#msg127311 date=1080283002]
cool, im new to moab, was there last year, but i didint have a truck then...

What do you guys suggest for trails for me to run?? I am sprung over and 35" open diffs unexperenced driver... =)
[/quote]

You may want to run Fins-n-Things to just get used to driving on the slickrock, but it's a super easy trail. Stay away from Porcupine Rim trail unless you are biking it--otherwise there will be WAAAAY too many bikers and hikers in the way of you driving your rig. Trust me, it sucks.

FWIW, I took my 2 inch lifted, 32x11.5 runnin', open-diffed, otherwise stock FJ60 on Poison Spider mesa to gold bar rim and golden crack and whatever other trail it is that it connects to and the only issues I had was that I had to get a yank to finish crossing the golden crack and I hit the ass end here and there when I stepped off stuff. If you do Poison Spider Mesa by itself (don't go on to Gold Bar Rim) then you should be fine there also.

I also took my rig in the same configuration on Hells Revenge. Ya, I didn't do every obstacle, but the only things I by-passed were the escalator and the hot tubs (I think). And I was following around my buddies who were all in TJs, all lifted with 33s to 36s, all locked front and rear, all with tera-low. Needless to say, they stopped giving me s*** about my Cruiser after that (dumbass ignorant Jeep guys...)

Do some searches on Google for Moab Trail websites and look for ones listing the trails and get yourself a map of the trails. Try fins-n-things (if you wanna pay the 6 bucks or whatever to get in the damn area) or go to Poison Spider and get a feel for your rig and the terrain. Then think about what other trails you might be able to run (based on their ratings and such).

-Ferg-

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the entrance fee for F'n'T.
'Twas part of my CM03 registration fee.

yea last year we went on hells revenge with my buddys open diffed Cherokee on 33's no prob... he diddint even have 4low.. we made a fast ass run up that steep climb.. but didint do the escelator or anyof the harder stuff..

Better news is that my Heep Friends dont want to go now, (one's in jail) lol, so its looking like Cruise moab may be a better option! and give me time to get used to wheelin my rig before i go

On thursday we are scheduled for Poison Spider and saturday on Rose Garden Hill. Will be in Moab area from tuesday through sunday so if anyone would like to hook-up for a trail or just hangout and watch the carnage at one of the popular obstacles let us know. 8)

Going down the 7th-11th, I think we were going to run Poison Spider on Thursday

I'll be on the Poison Spider run on thur. along with hammerhead, Tinkertoy, and another friend of ours in a Toy mini. Looking forward to meeting you.

We're camping out in one of our favorite spots. Won't know which one til we get there to see what is taken. Where are you staying?

Hope you get your T-case sorted out. We'll be watching for you.

As far as I know we are camping at Sand Flats. I hope I get to meet some new people, everyone have a safe trip hope to see you there!!!!

The way things stand right now, we won't be able to leave for Moab until Tue. morning. Finding a primo camp will be a little harder, but, not as hard as later in the week. The event gets bigger, more unregulated camping areas close and open areas fill up sooner. Sand Flats used to be unregulated and was a real mess. Now there are a limited number of designated camp sites. Last year the area below Sand Flats was an unregulated fiasco and may be closed. We camp farther away and find better camp sites without all the hassels, and, end up driving farther to get to town and the arena. We will try to post where we are camping by Wed. AM.

I am fine camping just about anywhere...hopefully we will be able to find some decent spots.

Got back last night. What a gas! Had a great time. Did you do poison Spider on thursday? I didn't see any other cruisers in our group but I was at the back. We even got my wife to drive for a while. She squeeled louder than my tires when she dove down the 20 ft. ledge towards the top. A couple of my kids were riding with a friend two cars back when they heard her scream and had to let everyone know "that's my Mom" on the CB. She did good for a Kansas flatlander who couldn't stand even the slightest angles before the Safari. Now she's talking about her own rig. She didn't even like to go wheeling before but now I think she's hooked.
8)

I was very sadly cruiserless.....but I had fun anyway. One of my friends let me use his rig, we did Hells Revenge, Cliff Hanger and when there wasnt a crowd we did Dump Bump. Also went down Gemini Bridges just for a calm peaceful ride, there was a dead dog at the bottom( kinda gross) I would have to say that was one of the best camping trips I have ever had..........cant wait to go back!!! Next time not with out my baby. I wish I could have met up with all of you!!!

Hells revenge is still my favorite. It isn't hard but it is alot of fun. Cliff hanger has a few real cool obstacles too. Sunday we did cane creek for a lazy afternoon. The kids had a ball playing in the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom