Early vs Late doors. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title says it all. I've got a 77 with the late doors. Like the looks of the early doors, and the bug catcher windows. I've been looking into switchin, but haven't come across a cheap enough set yet. Wondering if I should bother.

Any of you guys who've owned both have a preference?

Thanks

bug catcher windows? or just vent windows? i prefer the vent windows over the newer style also. bug catchers are ok, but don't know if i like them better than the regular vent windows

I have some bug catcher type door top sections (the window frames that unbolt from the door body) that I would be willing to part with. You can bolt them up to the later vent type of early doors. I cut down my doors to make half doors. They are from a '65.

nuclearlemon said:
bug catcher windows? or just vent windows? i prefer the vent windows over the newer style also. bug catchers are ok, but don't know if i like them better than the regular vent windows

I thought the early doors with the split windows were bug catchers. :confused:

Is there more than one early style?

It aint early unless it has plexiglass for a window and it slides up and down with your finger! :D

DSC00603_sm.JPG

Hmm. I thought the "bug catchers" were found on late model non-North American cruisers.

how much do a set of early doors in good condition go for... no rust.?

H2o said:
how much do a set of early doors in good condition go for... no rust.?
couple hundred usually.

bug catchers are on very early cruisers and pivot in the rear weatherstrip with the glass going out only. the mid 60's-early 70's vent window pivot in the middle, so half the glass goes out and half goes in.

nuclearlemon said:
the mid 60's-early 70's vent window pivot in the middle, so half the glass goes out and half goes in.

My bad. I thought those were bug catchers. Those are the ones I'm talkin about. Haven't seen a pair in decent shape for under $300, and always across country (I'm not too keen on shipping doors with glass). I've come across some real basket cases in local j-yards, but nothing worth much.

mine pivot in the middle-i'll post some pics today to see if you're still interested. they're in great shape with new weather stripping and paint. good glass with new tint also.

roadtrip to denver...i got a set that's gotta go ;)

missipboy said:
here's a crummy shot of em'. i'll get some more.

Nice rig. Mine are even close to, if not the exactly, the same color.

So, what don't you like about the doors that makes you want to trade?

on the doors i have -
i don't like that the windows don't roll down all the way and
i don't like the door handles when compared to later ones. (although mine are the originals and kind of worn out)
i also don't like the adjustment, but that has more to do with the tub than the doors.

i do like the vent windows and
i do like the full painted inside-no crappy door panel
i do like that they are two pieces and the top can be taken off to make a half door. never done this, though, so don't know how much trouble it would be

i've had both sets of doors and prefer later model functionality, but earlier model style. right now i'm looking for functionality.

by the way my color is factory nordic blue

The PO repainted. Was the sky blue, but the new paint is closer to nordic. Not sure I actually wanna part with my originals (I'm kind of a pack rat), but thanks for the opinions on the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom