Early toyotas with late model OEM wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wait... so you're saying 14 psi to get full tread contact means the sidewalls are stiff? ;)

Is there a chart or site somewhere that indicates what OEM wheels will fit on what? I have 16" Tacoma wheels on my 1990 pickup. The 7" wheel width seems to limit tire size to about 265 70 R16. It looks like if I change to a 17" rim I get more tire options.

If you look at the mfg's page they list usually the rim width range and the design rim width. The thing that I've noticed is that the design rim width is not always centered within the rim width range. I've run 285/75R16's on a 6.5" wide rim. It did crown the tread, but only very slightly.

89 pickup with later Tacoma steel wheels (year unknown). No spacer, no rub, no bother.

002.JPG

Last edited:
FN f(x) Pro wheels (TRD PRO replicas in 17x8), bronze on 3rd Gen (1998) 4Runner. No spacers.
C9FFF824-A477-4B4C-B203-9908EC4CFC24.jpeg
86733AC0-A8D7-423C-8386-E96DAFFE8F26.jpeg

2017 TRD Tacoma Wheels on 1986 IFS 4runner
Old post but worth a try. What rim and tire size was this? Tacoma rims seem to have 16, 17, and 18 now.

Didn't see this combo, but still think it's one of the best. This was my first Runner that goat stolen last year. PO told me they were rare factory black TRD wheels, but I think he was FOS. Never the, less, the looked great.

IMG_20171015_100703101.jpg

I just went to buy new tires and was told that I'm using the wrong nuts on the alloy rims! First I've heard this since I bought my truck in 2007. I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma EXTRA CAB SR-5 3.4L M/T 4WD. The charts say I need OEM Part Number: PTR2734060. Advance Auto Parts says I need Dorman Chrome Acorn nut #711-301. Any suggestions out there for good aftermarket lug nuts for my truck tires (pictured)?

DSC03304 (1).jpg

DSC03305 (1).jpg

You could go to a dealership and ask them to show you the proper nut for those wheels. I rarely take for granted anything tire store people tell me.

What does the wheel look like where the nut seats?
An acorn nut wheel will be tapered and a flanged nut wheel will be flat.

Good info. I just took off one of the wheels and will check the holes tomorrow. Thanks. And trip to the dealership is in order!

It might just be me, but late model wheels on classic toyotas don't normally look good. I think the steel wheels still look pretty good, but not the alloys in most cases.

Conversely I'm not a fan of steel wheels on anything that I own. They look appropriate on restored or even some restomodded FJ40's and some other vehicles, but I'd never own & drive such a vehicle. A friend of mine has these in 17X8 on his Early Bronco: Circle Racing Wheels - https://www.circleracing.com/108oe.htm I don't understand why.

I will agree that it has to be the right late model wheel or it will clash with the body's design theme.

I guess I'm a throw-back... like steel wheels on everything - muscle cars, old trucks, new trucks... I put '84 FJ40 wheels on my '84 Pickup and Tundra steel wheels on my '06 100 Series - when it was almost new.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom