Early Steel Door Paddle Handles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scott11cruiser

Troublemaker
GOLD Star
Threads
I've spent much of my summer chasing down the little rattles and other noises that seem to vex me during my drives.

2 Sources of rattles seem to be my inner door handles. Looking around it appears that the LH door handle is dc'd, and RH is available at the usual sources. I've also seen the Thai after market ones...anyone have any luck with the aftermarket handles or better yet have an OEM they want to part with?

LH - 6932060031
RH - 6931060031

Screenshot 2021-07-18 8.16.18 AM.png

I had to replace my LH one, as it's NLA I had to hunt it a bit but finished to find a NOS one in Egypt.
I have seen a few others on Ebay seen then so not impossible to find but obviously harder than the RH one.

I rebuilt mine. Worked a charm. Cost me a couple dollars in spray paint, some bolts, shrink wrap for the plastic handles and some elbow grease. Blasted and sprayed with the Hammerite Rustoleum that looks very close to the silver metallic Toyota used for the pocket, seat backs, etc.

I bet the plastic handles could be 3D printed foe cheap cheap.

I just used a c-clip from the hardware store to eliminate the slack and rattle on the interior handle. :meh:

A split nylon washer or two work great as well for rattles. Absolutely does not help the missing plastic handle.

70898EF6-814E-41BB-99A0-1FFE7926F7A3.jpeg
2D00F06F-CB06-4C9A-A063-0A3D467747FA.jpeg

I hadn't thought about the washers or c-clips.
Did your handle have any play in the tongue of the assembly? Mine seems to have play there as well as the handles.

The gear teeth are worn on mine. Only one side has OEM replacement left. Think that is an ambulance door part. Other side is NLA.

When I saw early, I thought you meant EARLY!😛

While I don’t remember exactly when the design changed, the earlier 1960s latches had the inside handle attached DIRECTLY to the outside handle, and the inside handle directly retracted the latch bolt. IMO, it was a superior design. And the inside handle, not being riveted in place, NEVER got as duddy loose as the later design is notorious for. :meh:

When I saw early, I thought you meant EARLY!😛

While I don’t remember exactly when the design changed, the earlier 1960s latches had the inside handle attached DIRECTLY to the outside handle, and the inside handle directly retracted the latch bolt. IMO, it was a superior design. And the inside handle, not being riveted in place, NEVER got as duddy loose as the later design is notorious for. :meh:

my 63 has the early design, 65 has the next generation

the earlier 1960s latches had the inside handle attached DIRECTLY to the outside handle, and the inside handle directly retracted the latch bolt. IMO, it was a superior design.
This design has the big flaw that once locked you can't slam close the door.
If you have a passenger (no key on passenger side) and want to lock the car it means your passenger has to get out first of the car, close its door, then driver can lock it and finally driver must lock its door with the key.
And if you forgot to lock the passenger door you are good to unlock driver door, climb in the truck, spread to the other side, lock it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom