x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the hood will physically fit with no problems.
the hood tie downs are in the same locations.
the prop rod is located in the center of it and will not work with a 2f engine.
cant answer for the hold downs and pads.

If your new hood has no holes for windshield pads or hooks could be off a 45LV, early 45 with fixed windshield or early FJ40 hard top model. The rod the holds the hood up may be a issue with a 2F air cleaner. I have a few early 4X series with 2F engines. The only one that has the 2F air cleaner the tab the hood pivots off of is bent over to clear the air cleaner.

Second picture is the earlier hood hinge. Far as I know they bolt on the same. I drove up to OR to pick up a FJ25. While prepping to transport found the pin were broke on both hinges. Used ratchet straps ringer it home. I then bolted on a part of later hinges that worked find.

The hood hooks on the 75 and newer hoods were spaced further back to clear the larger turn signals. So the catches on the aprons are spaced differently.

I always assumed the hoods shared the exact same physical dimensions. @fjl40 had an issue aligning a two piece hood over a later model front clip. Perhaps he will chime in.

Yes, I had a hell of a time with alignment. I tried putting extra rubber spacers on hood hinges, even tried adjusting body mounts. Nothing helped. I'll try and dig up some pictures. I found an earlier post when trying to fit my hood. This has pictures of my hood also.
FJ40 early hoods explained

Last edited:
Your hood looks a lot more in line than mine. I also remember the back of the hood hanging over the cowl. It was a lot wider. Possibly I got a bad hood?? But I used a ratchet strap to bend the back to align with the cowl. I'm hoping my windshield aligns with the hood cushions now. I just don't want to deal with another headache.

I have a 64’ split on my 74’

Alighment is good even with the fiberglass fenders ... or then again was

Bad (rot) body mount is making things out of wack now

If the cowl is down it could be missing or not correct size body mount ...

The only issue I had (and others) had been the newer available hood hold downs are too short ... an easy fix for that is removing the rivit holding the hold downs hook ... the moving it further down ... you only need about 1/4” or so more pull to it

Visual... if your good with a welder you could probably spot it and grind/sand it down ... I am not lol

You could probably rivit it as well... I am lazy ... and I am a PO in the making :meh:
I think the earlier latches pull further and are just that little bit longer ... I think :)

F9CEC3A6-D7F5-4292-AD91-44ADC5CF7844.jpeg

My hood hold downs were also short. It's probably an after market thing.
I did put new body mount kit. Also put the rubber bib pad on, but wouldn't think that would have made this hood as bad as what I had to deal with.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my May of 75 hood and 40 with 72 or earlier aprons with side marker lights. The hold down holes match the hook on the apron. It originally it had large turn signals. Fyi
20200201_131717.jpg
20200201_132352.jpg

I'm missing one of the apron hooks on my '63 w/ split hood. Those hooks are tacked on the apron as best I can tell. Anyone know if they're available somewhere/somehow without having to buy an entire parts rig, lol?

I have s 2f in my LV with a 2 f air filter and have no issues with the prop rod .

Thank you for that information. I had heard of this rumored issue before, but had a hard time believing it.

The hood hooks on the 75 and newer hoods were spaced further back to clear the larger turn signals. So the catches on the aprons are spaced differently.

Not one to argue.
But of the four hoods I have ,the tie downs are all in the same location.
2 75s
1 69
1 70ish
Roughly 4 to 4.25"

20200202_114322.jpg

20200202_114235.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom