Early model soft top install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 69’ fj40 that I am looking to put a soft top on during the summer, OEM style. I have 6 footman on the rear swing doors but nothing on the corners. I think there are options to not put footman on the corners and that would be my preference. Does anyone have any pics of their top on a late model without corner footman? What are my options? Thanks!

The most common or likely option would be snaps, is there a particular reason you don’t want the footman loops? You could come up with a fast trac system like they use on Jeep’s, but I don’t think it’s on the market for Land Cruisers. bTW if you’re planning to have the OEM soft top for summer driving, taking it down and putting it back isn’t as easy as it seems.

From the mid sixties until the 72 model rear corners used the same twists the sides used.

Here is a top, doors and bows I bought in 1995. These were off a 69, doors bows are OEM and top is Kayline replacement. Other one is 73 OEM doors and bows. Top is one I bought new from Man-A-Fre in 1993. It's a Kayline and made for twists in the corners not straps.
001011.jpg
001029.jpg

From the mid sixties until the 72 model rear corners used the same twists the sides used.

Here is a top, doors and bows I bought in 1995. These were off a 69, doors bows are OEM and top is Kayline replacement. Other one is 73 OEM doors and bows. Top is one I bought new from Man-A-Fre in 1993. It's a Kayline and made for twists in the corners not straps.
View attachment 2677258View attachment 2677260

Thanks for the pics. How do the twists mount to the body? Or are the mounted some other way on the inside rail?

You have to drill through the rail to add the twist fasteners.

Might as well drill the tub and add footman loops. The straps will tighten the top better, especially with the sides rolled up.

I agree. Thanks for the help!

When I had a '73 fst, this is I how ran with the top 90% of the time.

i-sX4M7Tc-L.jpg

Sides and back rolled up. Having the footman loops and straps on the corners really helps keep it tight.

Miss that 40, makes me want to find another fst frame for my '69!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom